Chapter 5

all too well 

If people get their hopes up for someone who just uses them, they turn their backs towards love. They lock the door for it and don't ever feel like opening it up again. Of course love could be beautiful in a lot of ways, but trusting someone and giving someone your all although you shouldn't have, ruins it.

If love comes knocking on their doors again someday, they ignore it. They think a sign that says 'Don't disturb' could keep love away, but it can't. Love is everywhere and as much as you want to run away from it, it'll come back to you.

...

"Jeff Truscot literally went MIA!" Dylan complained on our way through the empty hallway. "And what did I have to tell Mrs. Miller? Yes, I had to tell her that we finished our project but Jeff freaking Truscot went missing and what did she tell me, Rose?" Although we were walking close to each other, he still decided to shout since he was venting about Mrs. Miller and Jeff Truscot.

"What did she tell you, Dylan?" I screamed back as I turned sideways to face him.

"Woah, slow down there," he whispered. "She didn't believe me! She said we planned this because we didn't finish it. Can you believe that?"

"How about calling him?" I suggested the obvious, which caused him to applaud me.

"Wow, what a great idea!" He said with sarcasm lacing on his voice. "I didn't think about that before you mentioned it in front of me. You're so clever, Rose, you're so clever." He continued to clap his hands together slowly.

I rolled my eyes at him as I hit him on his shoulder. "I was just trying to help."

"If this is your way of helping me, don't even try."

This caused me to roll my eyes at him again, "Where is Mandy anyway? I didn't see her today."

"She's gone already," he informed me.

"So it's just the two of us, huh?" I laughed.

"Yes, baby. Prepare yourself for this twenty minute walk home while all I'm going to do is to vent about Jeff freaking Truscot."

...

It was really silent at home that night. I finished all my homework and even studied for some upcoming exams - which I usually barely do - and listened to some music after I walked out of the shower. I still had a few hours to kill until I could go to sleep but I didn't know what to do. My parents were watching tv downstairs and I had no idea where Noel and Miles were.

A knock on my door caused me to sit up straight within a heartbeat and I exhaled out loud when Miles popped his head through the door. "Hey there." Guess they were home then.

"Hi, come in." What was it that I couldn't stop myself from smiling whenever he looked at me? He was Mandy's crush and I had yet to tell her that he was staying with us, but something inside of me was keeping me from telling her. Was I selfish for not telling her?

"What are you doing?" He closed the door behind as he approached me and then he sat down onto my bed just a few inches away from me and I could feel my heart hammer against my chest.

"Uh... the usual, you know?" I tried to sound cool but failed. "I'm listening to music and stuff."

"Really? What are you listening to?" He moved even closer to get a glimpse at my phone screen and I had the privilege to look at him from upclose again. His lashes were nearly brushing the apples of his cheeks, that's how long they were and his lips were so big and ruby. He had such a perfectly shaped face, wow. I mean his jawline was probably as sharp as a damn knife.

"A little bit of The 1975." I shrugged, "Why are you here?" I asked because I was wondering why he would voluntarily spend time with me instead of spending time with Noel.

"Noel is taking a shower right now and I was bored. Do you want me to leave you alone again or should we listen to some music together?" He leaned back until his back hit my soft mattress and he closed his eyes during the process. Although he was wearing a hoodie with some basketball shorts, he still managed to look like a model and this tingling feeling of pressing my lips against his was present again. Slow down, Rose.

"What would you like to listen to?" I asked curiously as I leaned back too with a broad smile covering my face.

"Could be anything. Green Day maybe?" He suggested, securing his arms behind his head after he raised one of his graceful eyebrows at me.

"You like Green Day?" I wondered when he opened his eyes to look up at me with his own smile curving his lips.

"Let me guess," he laughed, "you are more into Coldplay?"

I had to bite onto my bottom to prevent my stupid smile from growing wider. "How did you know that?"

He pointed at my phone, "You were listenting to Paradise by Coldplay."

"Oh, well yeah. I love them." I blushed lightly, which caused him to pull himself back up to stare deep into my eyes and I could literally feel his warm breath fanning my skin.

"If you love them, you probably love Ed Sheeran too," he had this confident look on his face that I wanted to prove him wrong, but he was right. I was a big fan of both of them. Their voices were just too heavenly.

"Let me make a guess now," I rubbed my arms. "If you love Green Day, you love Mayday Parade too?" He remained silent for a couple of seconds until he licked his lips.

"Good one," he grinned. "You're pretty by the way."

I was scrolling through my playlist to find something we could listen to, but his sentence forced me to turn my attention towards him within a second. "What?" My voice was barely above a whisper and I was sure that I didn't misunderstand him. Did he say that I am pretty?

"You want me to say it again, huh?" He pulled a strand of hair behind my ear while focusing on my lips and he was smiling so bright that his teeth were visible, "You are pretty, Rose Johnson."

"Wh- Why did you say that?" A million thoughts were racing through my mind in this very moment. Who would have thought that I would end up growing some small feelings towards Miles Reese? I think I slowly realized why Mandy was swooning over him everyday.

"Is it a crime to say what's crossing your mind?" He asked into the room, but then my brother called out for him. "I should get going now, good night. "

"Good night, Miles."

Once he exited the room, I placed my sweaty palm on top of my rapidly beating chest. This was awkward and so unexpected that I felt tongue-tied, but he told me that I'm pretty and that was seriously something I would have never ever expected him to say to me. Never ever.

...

author's note:

A vote and a comment are super duper appreciated!