Chapter Two: An Old Face

I was back at the cliff. The storm was still festering over the sea. I loved the feeling of the electricity in the air, but the anticipation was killing me. I wanted to feel the water shower against my skin. Lightning crackled in the distance, lighting up the sea below me. Tova was as restless as I was. While I waited for the storm, she waited for Ronan. She was worried about him. I was too, but her unease was stronger than mine. I wanted to wonder why, but deep down I knew why. I just ignored the feeling. Ignorance was bliss. She agreed.

I closed my eyes as a wave crashed, causing water to spray against my face. All five of my senses were in tune with the sea. I was in euphoria.

Footsteps broke my trance. I glanced back to see Ronan. I was going to turn back to the sea when I realized someone was behind him. Both Tova and I were on alert.

"Claire?" The person spoke from behind Ronan. His head peered over Ronan's shoulder.

I could have collapsed right then and there. Tova kept me together. My heart beat harder at the sight of him.

A grin enveloped my face as he rushed to me. "Drinian what are you doing here!?" I exclaimed. I couldn't help but laugh as he picked me up, hugging me as he spun the both of us around. "Put me down before we fall over the cliff," I demanded in a light tone. I was too relieved to see him to actually scold him.

Drinian stopped swinging me, but he didn't release me. "Claire Bear I have missed you so much. Haze still cries in his sleep." His voice was so sad that tears sprung to my eyes.

I pulled out the feather necklace that was tucked under my shirt. I stroked the plume as I remembered the last memory of him. Haze had guided me to Ronan after my escape from the train. Once I was with Ronan, Haze let out a mournful cry and plucked out one of his feathers to give to me. He didn't want to leave me, but he knew he had to. Haze continued with his heartbreaking song as he flew away. I didn't know where he would go but I knew he could take care of himself. Drinian was his best choice.

"Thank you for watching out for Haze. But what are you doing here? How'd you even find me? What if you got caught? Do you know how dangerous this –"

Drinian cut me off. "Claire! Dumbledore is dead. You don't need to spy for him anymore. Ronan just told me that they aren't joining Voldemort anyways. I'm here to take you home."

My mouth dropped open. He risked his life to just take me home? "You could have sent a letter."

Drinian's eyes widened before he burst out laughing. "Of course I could have sent a letter, but how un-heroic is that? Come on Claire, let me have my moment!"

I gave him a small smile and pulled on his hair. "Never!"

He buried his head into my shoulder as he laughed. I could see Ronan leaning on a tree, taking in our exchange with an amused expression. I gave him a questioning look but he just shook his head in response. What was he thinking?

"We should leave now. Everyone is partying and too inebriated to realize you're gone." Drinian turned serious as he let me go.

I nodded. This was the best and probably only chance to escape. I glanced at Ronan to ask what he thought, but he wasn't paying attention to us. His face was strained as if he was trying to listen but couldn't hear well. That soon changed when a shriek pierced the air. Ronan didn't wait a minute. He was in his wolf form, running back to the pack. I was ready to change when Drinian put a hand on my shoulder.

"Why did he leave?" He asked in confusion.

I forgot that he didn't have our supernatural hearing. "I think we are under attack. I can hear screams coming from the pack."