Day 1- 12.24pm

“C’mon Luke, we’ve got to admit it at some point,” Megan told him.

“Nope,” Luke replied, peering over the dashboard of the minibus at the road ahead.  “I will not admit it!”

“We’re lost,” Megan said.  “Let’s just use the GPs on your phone…”

“I’ve told you, it isn’t working.”

“My phone isn’t working either,” Laura piped up.  She was sat next to Hayley, the latter of whom was dozing lightly with her head rested against the window.  “It won’t send a text.”

She looked down at the phone in her hand.  She has typed a message to her brother, Fletcher, but for some reason, there was no signal.  The same could be said for the WiFi.

“I’ll try mine,” Rori volunteered, reaching into his pocket.  “Shit,” he said as the screen of his phone went black.  “No battery.”

“We can try the internet when we get to Ginge’s,” Gemma assured them all.  “We can go on Facebook, send inboxes to everyone.  There’s nothing more we can do at the moment but get to the farm, and fast.”

“A girl who is finally talking some sense,” Luke said from at the front of the bus.

“You sure you don’t want me to take over?” Warren asked him.

“I’m fine,” Luke told him.  “It’s not my fault we’re lost.”

“See?” Megan cried triumphantly.  “We’re lost!”

“We aren’t lost,” Luke argued.  “We are just unsure of our exact location at present.”

“It might not be a great time to say this,” Poppy said quietly, interrupting Megan and Luke’s dispute.  “But I am really desperate for the loo.”

Luke sighed.  Just another spanner in the works, he thought.  They had been travelling for nearly an hour now, double the original amount of time it should have taken them to reach Ginge’s farm.  They had driven down streets filled with abandoned vehicles, and he had had to manoeuvre the minibus in between these like a child in an obstacle race.  Many of the infected had heard the sound of their engine and had tried to follow.  The ones that didn’t were too busy with other prey.

The worst was when they had driven past the high school.  Nearly all of the upper and lower floor windows had been smashed, and shards of glass had littered the floor outside.  Many of the vehicles in the car park had been turned on their sides, and a group of filthy savages had congregated around one, shoving their hungry faces through the windows and trying for force the door open with clawing hands.  Laura had fallen silent as they had driven past, thinking of her brother, Fletcher.  He had been in school that day.  Was it even possible that he was still alive?

“We’ll pull over,” Megan suggested.  “Luke, we can get our bearings and head in the right direction.  Laura, you can stand guard for anyone who needs to do their business.”

Laura giggled.  Immature at the worst of times, the concept of “doing their business” in the great outdoors seemed hilarious to her.  She reached over, and gently shook Hayley awake.  “Wassahappenin?” Hayley grunted as she opened her eyes.  Her fringe stuck up all over the place from resting against the window.  “Are we here?”

“No,” Laura replied, grabbing her shovel.  “It’s pitstop time.”

“Huh?”

“Time for weewees,” Laura said, grinning at the immaturity of it all.

“I’m glad you’re amused,” Hayley grumbled, climbing out of her seat as the minibus shuddered to a halt.  “You aren’t the one having to pee outdoors!”