Chapter Twelve

*A/N Sorry it took so long! Double update today to make up for it!! This chapter is dedicated to matildaaaaaaaaaaa13 *

Thea was going to die. Not because of the Grievers chasing her or the throbbing pain radiating from her thigh. No, she was going to die because she was relying on Minho to keep her alive.

He held her in place while the monster charged straight for them. What was she? A sacrifice? Minho had already settled his "debt" to her and apparently that meant he owed her nothing and could take her out now. Might as well just throw her off the Cliff right now!

Thea wrestled him, trying to get free. He'd make a better snack anyway, she thought and then immediately took it back.

The Griever was practically on top of them now. Thea screamed and pinched her eyes shut. If she was going to die, the last thing she wanted to see would not be an horrendous beast like that. Nor would it be the Griever. No thank you.

Minho let out a battle cry and shoved her away from him so hard that she practically flew into the wall. Her head swung with the backlash and smashed against the stone. Her vision fell black.

Fire erupted from the wound on her leg, dancing over her spine and coating her nerves in its relentless attack. Thea wanted to scream and let go of some of the pain, but her body wouldn't listen to her. It was as though the pain came from a demon forcing its way into her body and taking control of her limbs while Thea silently writhed in agony, unable to do anything, but watch.

She sat straight up, eyes snapping open, but this time, she saw the world with a red tint. Like tears of blood swam in her eyes and distorted the image.

Minho sat on his butt, staring at her in shock. His face blurred in and out, splitting into three and then back into one like a character in a glitchy video game. Thea's body seemed to think that he had to die in order for her to win the game and she lunged at him. Her hands caught his neck and she squeezed as hard as she could. His eyes bulged and he desperately tried to free himself from her grip. Thea simply adjusted her position to hold him in place and pushed her forearm over his neck to sandwich him against the ground.

He jerked onto his side and Thea lost her grip, rolling over the rough floor. Fury bubbled up in her chest. He didn't need to make this more difficult. She stood and rammed into him with a clenched jaw.

"Stop!" The boy screamed. His body was precariously balanced on the edge of the Cliff. One wrong step and he was done for. His words came out garbled and unintelligible when he spoke again. Either that or she was getting really good at ignoring him.

Thea's gaze caught on the hilt of the dagger sheathed to his back and she pulled it free. This would definitely speed up his death. She paused to suck in a breath, her head and leg throbbing so badly that she couldn't just ignore it, and Minho took advantage of her moment of weakness. His fingers dug into the skin of her shoulders and he slammed his skull against her forehead. They both tumbled backwards.

She screamed in rage and charged at him with the knife. He caught her arm with trembling hands and no matter how hard she pushed down, Thea couldn't get the blade closer than where it hovered just above his throat. Why wouldn't the stupid boy just die already?

Minho pulled his foot back and slammed it against the Greiver sting. The fire relit. Tiny daggers pierced her skin, originating at the wound and then rippling outwards. Thea's entire body throbbed until the pain overwhelmed her system and she let herself fall into the darkness.