Chapter One: The Vanishing

Ivy Aldinis tapped her pen against the edge of her notepad, her eyes darting between the lines of the dusty old book on her lap. The worn pages whispered secrets of long-forgotten magic tricks and grand illusions, but none held the answers she sought. The clock on the wall ticked steadily, each second marking another moment her mother remained a mystery.

“Lost in another one, huh?” Michael Aldinis’s voice broke the silence, filled with a familiar mix of affection and concern. He stood in the doorway of Ivy’s cluttered bedroom, his tie loosened from a long day at the office.

Ivy looked up, her amber eyes brightening momentarily. “Just hoping to find something useful,” she said, setting the book aside. “Maybe there’s a clue in these old tricks that I’ve missed.”

Michael sighed and entered the room, taking a seat on the edge of her bed. “Ivy, it’s been years. Sometimes I think you’re trying to solve an unsolvable mystery.”

“I can’t just let it go, Dad,” Ivy replied softly. “Mom vanished during one of their performances, and no one has any answers. I need to know what happened.”

Michael ran a hand through his graying hair, his expression pained. “I know. But sometimes, the past needs to stay in the past.”

Ivy shook her head, determination hardening her features. “Not when it comes to family. I have to keep looking.”

Michael watched her for a moment, then nodded. “Alright. But promise me you’ll be careful. The world of magic and illusions… it’s not always what it seems.”

Ivy forced a smile. “When have I ever been anything but careful?”

He chuckled, the tension easing slightly. “Just remember, you can always talk to me. I might not know much about magic, but I’m always here for you.”

“Thanks, Dad,” Ivy said, genuinely grateful. She leaned in to give him a quick hug. “I’ll figure it out. Somehow.”

After Michael left, Ivy returned to her notepad, scribbling down a few more thoughts. Her mind wandered to the last performance her mother had ever given. She had only been a child, but the memory was vivid: the grand stage, the dazzling lights, the awe-inspiring tricks. And then, the final act—the vanishing—and her mother was gone.

The official story had been a trick gone wrong, an unfortunate accident. But Ivy had never believed that. There were too many inconsistencies, too many questions left unanswered. She had to dig deeper, even if it meant confronting shadows that had lingered for far too long.

Later that evening, Ivy sat on her bed, her laptop open in front of her. She navigated to a forum dedicated to magic and illusionists, a place where enthusiasts and professionals alike shared tips, stories, and occasionally, secrets. She posted a carefully worded message about her mother’s disappearance, hoping someone might remember something useful.

As she waited for responses, Ivy turned on her favorite true crime documentary, hoping to distract herself. The familiar cadence of the narrator’s voice was comforting, a stark contrast to the chaotic swirl of thoughts in her mind.

Her phone buzzed, interrupting the narration. It was a reply to her post. Ivy’s heart raced as she opened the message.

“I remember that performance,” the reply read. “There were rumors backstage, whispers of something darker. If you’re serious about finding out what happened, meet me at the old theater tomorrow night. Midnight. Come alone.”

Ivy stared at the screen, her mind racing. Was this a genuine lead or another dead end? The message was cryptic, but it was the first hint she’d had in years. She had to follow it.