Chapter 12

I rubbed my eyes, comparing the invitations to the names on the lists. I’m going to die of hardship because I kept doing this for hours. Still, if the head maid liked me, that’s enough, so let’s just keep doing it!

Should I mention that I want to change jobs soon? Or should I wait a little longer?

“Hmm…”

“Why, Layla? Is there anything strange about it?”

“Ye-Yes? It’s nothing!”

After smiling bashfully at her, I fixed my gaze back on the list again. It would be better to tell her after I gain more likeability points from her. If you ask someone for your original purpose right after getting closer to them and they open their doors towards you, their feelings for you will drop.

  It’s as if you’re being asked by someone who pretended to be close to you all just to borrow a million won from you.

E/N: A million won is equivalent to between 800~850 US dollars.

After a while, the head maid opened her mouth.

“Hmm, I’m starting to get the munchies.”

“Ah! Then I’ll bring something to eat!”

“You don’t need to…”

“Not at all, I will do it because I want to.”

She smiled when I said I’ll go bring a snack. Haha… This is like a question with a fixed answer. This meant she wanted me to secretly go to the kitchen and come back. I got up from my seat and went out.

All the way to the kitchen, I could see the employees busily moving and carrying things and hanging them on the wall. The butler was leading the people there with Osses.

I also saw my sister climbing up the ladder and hanging a paper folded like a rose on the ceiling.

It was then that I realized that the duke’s birthday party was near. It was the same as saying that Count Nigor’s people were coming.

“… What do I do?”

Should I tell my sister about the fact that Count Nigor is coming? I could see her on the ladder with a bright smile on her face and I couldn’t help but see an overlapped image of her past crying self. My heart was in throbbing pain.

“I can’t.”

I’ll never tell her. I’ll never let my sister get hurt. I’ll hide it so no one will know it.

At that moment, my eyes met Lemon’s, who was moving a chair. Shaping her mouth, she said, “stupid bitch” and stuck out her tongue. She must be feeling quite the temper since I’ve been receiving a lot of love from the head maid.

It was annoying to see her hurriedly turn her head and head to the garden, but strangely, I felt relieved. I raised my fists at the back of her head and headed toward the kitchen.

I was on my way back to the head maid’s office after receiving one or two pieces of bread, cookies, lukewarm drinks, and strawberry jam made by the chef in the kitchen. Then as I looked out the window while walking, I witnessed a terribly terrifying sight!

“Isley Emers…!”

He was chatting happily with Sister outside the window. That fact alone made my eyes feel sour that I couldn’t stand it. What is this? What are you two talking about that makes you so happy? Sister, don’t smile at that person…