9

Emily

I could feel the tears about to start coming down. And I hated myself for it. I didn't want to cry. Not for this.

"Emily please, let me just explain."

"Go ahead. Tell me why you lied to your parents about being at my place. Tell me why you just got out of your ex-girlfriends car. Tell me why you've ignored all my texts since yesterday. Did you know my mom's back?"

"I-"

"Of course you did. You had to have checked your phone. You just didn't care. Didn't care enough to text back your girlfriend when you know she needed you. So tell me why. I want to hear your explanation."

"Emily please. Calm down, let's just take a breathe and relax. Okay? Come on, sit down." She sat on the couch and motioned for me to sit next to her. I can't let her rope me in, so I stayed standing.

"I can listen from here. Explain why you were ignoring me. And why you were with her."

"I didn't mean to. I just... lost track of time. I was so upset about Ryleigh, and I just got angry."

"Really? This is still about her? I don't like her! It's been barely a week since she got here and you're doing all this because of her? You've got to be kidding me." I turned away from her. I can't believe what I'm hearing, she's so stupid.

"What was I supposed to do? I couldn't talk to you about it, you'd just get mad at me."

"So instead you go to your ex? Right, because I'd never get mad at that."

"Okay, yes. In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea to do that. But-"

"But nothing. You know how I feel about her. After everything she's tried to do to us, you still talk to her. About us."

"Emily I really think you're blowing this way out of proportion."

"Of course you do! Because you're at fault, so I must be the crazy one here."

"I didn't do anything wrong! You're the one that started acting differently when Ryleigh showed up, and then when I finally try and give you what you want, you don't want to do it anymore! Doesn't that seem suspicious to you?"

"Are you fucking kidding me? I knew it, Ryleigh bothered you all this time and then I said no to sex. I knew that's why you were acting so weird."

"Yes. I got upset because of it. I'm not apologizing for that."

"So I guess you aren't apologizing for not being there when I needed you, either." She remained silent and looked away from me. Of course.

"I'm leaving. Don't text me." I started heading for the door, but she grabbed my arm.

"Are you... are we over?"

"I don't know." I pulled away from her, holding back any tears that were trying to come out.

I got back into the car and wiped my eyes. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Jake: dinner is ready. Come home soon

Alright. Time to play this off.

Jake

"I thought I told you to call your sister."

"I texted her. She said okay, she should be on her way back." I was picking at the food in front of me. Apparently moms on some new health kick and we have to suffer with her.

"Fine. So how's school been so far?" She said between bites.

"Good. I guess. Nothing major." I can't tell her about what may or may not be happening with Gabriel.