Chapter 1: 🌧️ Finding Y/N 🌟

Avani Gregg adjusted the hood of her raincoat, pulling it tighter around her face as she hurried down the sidewalk. The rain poured relentlessly, creating little rivers along the edges of the street and making the world seem cold and unwelcoming. She had been on her way to a meeting but decided to take a shortcut through a less-traveled part of town, hoping to save some time.

As she passed under a bridge, Avani noticed a small figure huddled against the wall, barely visible in the dim light. Her heart skipped a beat. Was that a person? She slowed down, peering closer. The figure was shaking, soaked through, and looked impossibly fragile.

Avani approached cautiously, not wanting to startle whoever it was. "Hey, are you okay?" she called out softly, her voice barely audible over the sound of the rain.

The figure flinched and curled up tighter. Avani's concern deepened. She crouched down and reached out a hand, careful to keep her movements slow and gentle. "It's okay, I'm here to help," she said soothingly.

As she got closer, Avani could see that it was a young girl, maybe around 15 years old, but there was something about her that seemed much younger. The girl looked up at her with wide, frightened eyes, clutching a threadbare blanket around her shoulders. She was shivering uncontrollably, and her lips were tinged blue from the cold.

Avani's heart ached. "My name is Avani," she said softly. "I'm going to take you somewhere safe and warm, okay?"

The girl didn't respond verbally, but her eyes followed Avani's every move. Gently, Avani slipped her arms under the girl's frail body, lifting her with ease. She was disturbingly light, and Avani could feel the sharpness of her bones through her thin clothing.

"You're safe now," Avani murmured as she carried the girl back to her car. She opened the passenger door and carefully placed the girl inside, wrapping the blanket tighter around her. "Let's get you warm."

The drive back to Avani's house was quiet, the only sound being the rain pounding against the car windows. Avani glanced over at the girl every few seconds, her mind racing with questions. Who was she? Why was she out here all alone? What had happened to her?

When they arrived, Avani carried the girl inside, quickly getting her out of the wet clothes and into a soft, warm robe. She led her to the living room and set her down on the couch, then hurried to the kitchen to make some hot cocoa.

As the girl sipped the warm drink, Avani noticed the bruises on her arms and legs, as well as the red, irritated skin of a diaper rash. Tears pricked at her eyes. How could someone have let this happen to such a vulnerable person?

"What's your name?" Avani asked gently, sitting down beside the girl.

The girl looked at her, opening her mouth as if to speak, but no words came out. She seemed to struggle, her lips moving without sound. Avani realized she might be nonverbal.

"That's okay," Avani said softly. "You don't have to talk. I'm here to help you."

The girl leaned into Avani, seeking comfort. Avani wrapped her arms around her, holding her close. "You're safe now," she repeated. "I promise."

As the girl nestled into her embrace, Avani felt a surge of protectiveness. She didn't know what this girl's story was, but she knew one thing for certain: she was going to do everything in her power to make sure she never had to feel scared or alone again.

That night, Avani made up a small bed for the girl in her guest room, making sure it was as cozy and inviting as possible. She stayed with her until she fell asleep, her tiny form looking even smaller against the vastness of the bed.

Before turning off the light, Avani whispered, "Goodnight, little one. Tomorrow, we'll figure everything out. You're safe now."

As she closed the door, Avani couldn't help but feel that her life had just changed in a profound way. She didn't know what the future held, but she was ready to face it head-on, for the sake of the fragile, beautiful soul who had come into her life.