Chapter 2

~Steve~

Steve watched Bucky approach the table slowly. He liked the ruggedness of the soldier, the way his serving towel hung casually from his hip, the stubble highlighting the shape of his muscular jawline. Bucky's jawline was something made by the gods, somewhere Steve wanted to trail kisses along before uttering sweet nothings into the soldier's ear.

Steve looked down to the table, a steady blush spreading across his cheeks at the turn of his wayward thoughts. A gloved hand took the cup, and footsteps confirmed that Bucky had already headed back to the counter. Steve felt his stomach sink, Bucky hadn't recognised him, not that Steve would have expected him to.

Steve smiled, an idea forming in his head. "Please could I have an espresso shot?"

"Sure," Bucky glanced over to Steve who was keenly watching him.

Steve watched Bucky take out a small glass. "Make that two shots, please," Steve asked, eager to admire the soldier at work.Steve watched the way Bucky's fringe hung in his eyes as he worked. If only Steve could walk up behind him and tuck it behind his ear. Every time Steve had turned up to the coffee shop Bucky had walked off, leaving him to wonder, but now... Now Steve could truly admire his lost love.

The Captain looked away again as Bucky walked over to the table with the two drinks. "Please, sit, take one." Steve picked up a shot.

Bucky slid into the seat, avoiding the Captain's gaze at all costs. The drink was warm in his hand, but the soldier knew it wasn't the heat of the drink which was causing his insides to warm.

"You know my best friend Bucky would have loved this place," Steve finally caught the soldier's gaze.

Bucky kept his gaze, downing the drink. "Why didn't you bring him with you?"

"Because I know he's already here," Steve sighed. "I know these shots aren't the adrenaline we need. They're not the thing we both need."

Bucky stood up, looking down at Steve. "Why are you here Steve?" The soldier's voice was strained.

"You. Why else would I come here every weekend by myself?" Steve's voice dropped. "Even if I only saw a glimpse of you, that was enough. Enough to get me through another week, I just had to know you were okay, go to the museum and remind myself there was a reason for existing."

The glass rattled slightly as Bucky set it down on the table. Of course the Captain only felt guilty, he didn't feel the same way. "Steve..."

The Captain stood too, the snow storm getting heavier outside. "Bucky, I can't live my life knowing that the only person who-"

"Stop Steve," Bucky gritted his teeth, glaring down at the table. "I tried to kill you, then I hurt you."

"You weren't you Bucky, you were the winter soldier," Steve stepped around the table, trapping Bucky in the booth as he stood before him. "You weren't the man you are now."

"That's means I'm not the person you know now," Bucky snapped, unable to free himself from the situation, to protect whatever shards of his heart were left.

"No," Steve reached forward, brushing a hand against Bucky's cheek.

"How could a person like you ever love a person like me?" Bucky's eyes welled with tears, the truth finally settling on him. Steve didn't feel the same way.

Steve swallowed the lump in his throat. "Bucky..."

Bucky moved away from Steve's hand, the absence of his touch causing him to shiver. "Steve, I can't keep it from you anymore... I love-"

The Captain pressed a hand against Bucky's mouth, silencing him. Bucky watched him, a single tear sliding down his cheek and landing on Steve's hand. The soldier leaned forward, pressing Steve's hand, still on his mouth, to the Captain's. Their lips never touched but the sheer closeness caused both men to sigh. The tension of the situation instantly evaporated.

Steve stepped back, shocked, dropping his hand from Bucky's mouth. Never had he thought that Bucky would feel the same way, ever.

The soldier shook his head, eyes sad. "I knew you would never feel the same way."

"But Bucky," Steve stepped closer to him, their bodies moulded to each other. "I do. You've become a man I love even more, a soldier every Captain needs."

The Captain brought his lips to the soldier's. Bucky froze then allowed his hands to reach Steve's shoulders as their lips moved in synchronisation. They'd both waited too long for this. The kiss was gentle but desperate, both men devouring each other in a beautiful, patient moment. The odour of the coffee shop swirled around them, the coffee shop which had brought them back together, that served the shot they both needed.

Steve slowly pulled away, resting his forehead on Bucky's. "I don't care who you were, I'll help you find yourself Bucky because I'm with you till the end of the line. I'm the shot you need and you're the shot I need."

Bucky felt his head sting slightly before he smiled, he remembered. "Didn't I tell you that once?"

"Yeah, yeah you did," Steve smiled.

"Steve?" Bucky stepped back from the Captain, taking his hands in his. "You need to get a shot here every day."