The Game Part 6

Refugee, total shit
Is how I've always seen us
Not a help you'll admit
To agreement between us
There's no deal, partner
Who's your real partner?
Could there be just a chance
That you've got some heavy clients?

Lyrics from "The Deal (No Deal)" from Chess by Benny Anderson, Tim Rice and Björn Ulvaeus

* * * * *

Seamus's pronouncement stunned everyone to silence.

"The Ice King?" repeated Hermione after a moment.

Seamus turned back to look at her with a gleeful smirk. "That's what the Slytherin girls call Malfoy because he acts so cold to them."

"And just exactly how do you know that?" said Hermione, frowning in disapproval.

"I . . . oh!" said Seamus, somehow managing to look both smug and sheepish at the same time. "Er . . . never mind. I just always figured it was because he couldn't stand them. I mean who could?" Then he grinned over at Ron. "But maybe it's because Malfoy just doesn't like girls."

"Have you gone mental now, Seamus?" said Ron with alarm. "What on earth are you saying?"

"That Harry told the truth last night when he said he doesn't have a girlfriend! Just look at him."

Ron looked at Harry's smitten, still-smiling face and then across the room at Draco who was now grinning fetchingly at Harry. He turned a deep shade of red. "You mean . . . "

"I was right!" crowed Seamus. "Harry has a boyfriend. And it's Malfoy!"

Ron turned back to Harry. He grabbed Harry's shoulder and shook him slightly. "Harry!" he said, his voice desperate. "Tell me that's not true!"

But Harry wasn't listening, or rather, he was barely hearing the conversation going on around him because he was lost in a haze of entrancement. He was completely caught up in Draco's adorable smile until Ron, losing his temper when Harry didn't answer, shoved him, and Harry, since he wasn't paying attention and was sitting at the very end of the bench, slid sideways, lost his balance and fell off onto the floor with a jarring thump.

"Ron!" Hermione jumped up to see if Harry was okay.

Harry looked up at his best friend with a surprised frown, his glasses knocked askew by his abrupt meeting with the floor. "What the hell . . . Ron?" he faltered. "What'd you do that for?"

"Stop staring at that . . . that . . . snake . . . and answer me! Is it true? That talk we had? You meant him!?"

"Yes," said Harry firmly. "I meant him."

"You spent the night with Malfoy!?" said Ron incredulously, suddenly standing. He stared down at Harry, his whole body rigid with outrage.

"Yes, Ron," said Harry in a tone that left no room for doubt. "I did." He started to get to his feet, but then someone was there beside him and a hand was reaching down to help him up. He took Draco's offered hand and stood up facing the Slytherin. Draco didn't let go of his hand, twining their fingers together instead.

"You okay?" asked Draco in a low voice, concern and anger in his eyes as he reached up with his free hand to straighten Harry's glasses.

"Fine," said Harry. He turned to face Ron, his face becoming very solemn. "I know you're shocked," he said contritely, "but there wasn't any easy way to tell you this."

"You spent the night with Malfoy!" sputtered Ron. "Shocked doesn't even begin to describe how I feel!"

"Ron," said Harry, his tone grave, as he took in his friend's furious, horrified expression. "I meant it when I said I was serious about this relationship."