Prologue - A Promising Beginning

Woking, Surrey, England, January 2021

It was winter break from Formula 2, and I was riding high. My first season had gone better than I could have hoped. I had secured third place in the standings and signed another contract with Prema Racing for another year. My performance had started to turn heads in the motorsport world. Finally, I was beginning to be recognized as a talented driver, not just a female trying to break into a male-dominated sport.

I couldn't help but think back to that fateful Valentine's Day in Monaco, three years ago. Breaking up with Charles had been one of the hardest decisions I'd ever made, but it also marked the beginning of my unwavering focus on my racing career. Today, as I prepared to join the McLaren Driver Development Programme, I felt a mixture of excitement and nostalgia. This was a monumental step towards my ultimate dream of a career in Formula 1, a dream I had fought for relentlessly, often at the cost of my personal life.

As I entered the sleek, futuristic building of the McLaren Technology Center, my excitement was palpable. I looked around, trying to navigate my way through the maze of glass and steel, when I spotted two familiar figures leaving. It was Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris, McLaren's current F1 drivers.

"Hi! Don't I know you?" Lando asked, his trademark grin spreading across his face.

"You should remember me! I am the only female driver!" I laughed, my cheeks flushing. "F3, 2017 season... I crashed into the back of your car."

"OHH! Jeez! You're Garcia! You're the reason I had a DNF at the Red Bull Ring, not even a second after the start," he chuckled, the memory clearly amusing him.

"Well, if you had a good start, I wouldn't have wasted mine by violently putting my car into yours," I replied, raising my arms in mock innocence. "I do hope we are on better terms now. I remember how mad I was and how we fought like children," I laughed.

"I can't stay mad at a pretty lady like you," he winked.

"Well... it's nice to meet you," Daniel said, stepping in and shaking my hand.

"Hi, I'm Émilie. Thank you!" I smiled, feeling a bit starstruck.

"The pleasure is all ours," Lando winked again.

"So, what brings you here today?" Daniel asked.

"A meeting with Zak Brown. I'm signing on as a junior driver... and hopefully, I'll get a shot at being a reserve," I replied confidently.

"It's a great team, you'll like it here," he smiled warmly.

"Thank you. I'll let you go, you're probably busy," I said.

"Yeah," Daniel said. "Nice meeting you, Émilie."

"I'm not busy! Let me show you around; I'll escort you to Zak's office" Lando grinned.

I had met Lando in the past, but at the time, I had been deeply in love with Charles. Now, as I noticed Lando's warm smile and the sparkle in his eyes, I felt a strange flutter in my stomach. He was good-looking and confident, his attention making me blush. But despite our separation, I still felt like flirting would be cheating on Charles. Plus, our breakup was meant to help me focus on my career.

Embarrassment also washed over me as I thought about how many of my peers had climbed the ranks faster than I had. Lando was a year younger and already beginning his third season in F1. Many drivers I once shared the grid with had outpaced me. Here I was, just now signing on as a junior driver, possibly a reserve. It was a harsh reminder of the additional hurdles I faced as a woman in this sport. My talent had been questioned from the moment I started karting. I had to be ten times better just to be seen as equal. It was a tough world, but moments like this made it worth it.