Kabanata 4

"Here." Gavin handed me a drumstick vanilla ice cream and sat on the opposite side of the table.

Nasa convenience store kami sa loob ng village namin. Nakaupo lang sa labas, dito sa tables in front of the store. Coincidentally, he also lived here kaya he bummed into me kanina. He said he was also getting some fresh air when he saw me at the playground crying. How embarrassing, diba?

"Thanks." I grabbed the ice cream from him at nagstart na buksan ito. "I'll pay you bukas nalang. Wala akong dalang cash ngayon."

Then suddenly I flicked my forehead causing me to wince. "Aray!"

"Libre yan sabi eh." He said and continued to unwrap his ice cream.

My brows furrowed as I glared at him. Makakaganti din ako sa lokong to. I said to myself as we both ate in silence. That night felt rather freeing for me. I don't why din, kumain lang naman kami ng ice cream but I felt happy. His presence didn't bother me either. It was as if we were already comfortable with each other's presence.

When the next morning came, I felt that familiar suffocating feeling once more as I stepped inside the dining room. Mamita and Skye were already there and were already eating when I arrived.

"Good morning po." I bowed to Mamita before taking a seat beside her. Kumuha na ko kaagad ng pagkain ko para makaalis kaagad kami ni Skye.

"Where did you go last night?" I froze when Mamita asked. She was already looking at me intently. Si Skye naman ay napatingin din saming dalawa.

I gulped. "I went to buy some ice cream from the convenience store in the village."

Tumango-tango naman si Mamita as she sliced the chicken on her plate. "I've set up a meeting with the Pacheco's for later this evening. I expect the both of you to be present."

Skye and I glanced at each other. Skye wiped the side of his mouth with a napkin before he spoke. "Pachecos? Why? I thought everything was set with kuya Diego's wedding. Why are we meeting them again? It's so unlikely of them to just see us without business to talk about."

"Kuya withdrew from that wedding..." I said under my breath. Skye's brows furrowed in confusion as he looked over to Mamita for confirmation who on the other hand was enjoying her coffee.

"Then what will happen to Tito's campaign then? Without the Pacheco's support, mahihirapan si Tito." Skye blurted. Napaiwas ako ng tingin when he mentioned my father's campaign. I almost forgot he was running for the elections.

"That's why Kenzie will be wed to Tristan, the youngest Pacheco in the clan," Mamita answered which shocked Skye. He knows my stand on that matter.

"But she doesn't want that, Mamita." Skye tried to reason out more but Mamita raised her hand in front of him, telling him to stop.

"It is what the family needs and just like what any other member of this family has been doing, she should do everything to save this family from falling," Mamita said in a stern voice. "Isn't that right, Artemisia?"

I went blank for a second. I looked over to Skye who was very confused. It was as if he was telling me not to agree. But then again, what choice do I have?

"Opo," I muttered under my breath and sighed.

"Good, now hurry up and finish your breakfast. Baka malate pa kayo." Mamita then stood up and left the two of us.

"What the fuck is going on, Zie?" Skye demanded an answer. "I thought Kuya Diego would be the one to be wed to the Pachecos?"

"Kuya Diego got another woman pregnant." I shortly answered as I continued to eat my breakfast even though I had already lost my appetite. My grip on my utensils tightened as I felt his stare.