-

Inspector Gadget: The Nature of Change & Destruction

Written by: Erin Weinstock

Chapter 1:

The dog looking at him in the face was his first memory, that and pain.

What had happened? Driving home after the worse day of his life. Fired from work and forced to detour around traffic that clogged the highway on his normal route home. It had been a long drive about midway through and then a feeling of something. An impact?

A nurse or doctor then angrily pulled the dog away from him and started speaking. Why no sound?

The lips are moving but no sound is coming out.

She pulls a remote control device from a pocket in her scrubs and turns a dial on it.

"Mr. Heyward? Jonathan Heyward, can you hear me now?" She asked him looking lightly puzzled.

"Y-Yes, what happ -?" He couldn't finish his question. The sleepy feeling that had been nagging at him since awakening was tugging too hard on his attention. All his body felt like doing was going back to sleep. But his mind in combination to the feelings in his body wanted otherwise. He felt odd beyond the pain.

"Car wreck?" John questioned the woman.

"A pickup truck, don't worry, you're fully covered for it," She answered looking concerned at him. Then continuing with, "how are you feeling?"

"Strange and in pain ...what kind of medication have you given me for the pain?"

"Standard medication, Mr. Heyward but well, that strange feeling. You are my first living patient to undergo massive bionic augmentation corrective surgery. How is every thing working?"

That snapped him most of the way out of the state of sleepy grogginess he was in.

"Wait?! What?! Massive bionic?! Living patient what?!" He wanted to go on in his fearing questions, but the more he spoke the more a light headed feeling started to over come him.

In the beginning the woman acted like she wanted to settle him down, but that happened on it's own accord, and he slunk backwards to the pillow from having jutted halfway up in bed, to start at her.

"I don't approve of your niece's pet here at all, and neither does any of the hospital staff, but would the k9 being back to your bed here help you with um interesting news?"

"That Brain doesn't belong here, and no I don't find him a comfort," he answered in a slight growl, closing his eyes.

"Do you think you're in a good frame of mind to hear how you had to be saved after you were taken in here?"

"Does it have something to do with why I couldn't hear you talking at first when you came in here?"

"Yes, that was part to do with how we saved you." She paused not sure about how to continue delivering the news without upsetting him further. The man sitting halfway up in bed suddenly had panicked her, but not for her safety.

She worried about how delicate he was at the moment. With standard surgeries the patient was normally at risk of opening up stitches on the worked on area of the body. With John Hayward, she worried him physically exerting himself could not only open stitches on him, but open him into falling apart literally.

"You ..couldn't hear me at first since you had your hearing set to mute. I forgot at first you haven't been given instructions yet how to operate your body."

He didn't know how to respond to her.

As she continued with him being silent, he learned she was one member of a team of surgeons that had worked on him.