Chapter 6

"Kya aap, Laila Qureshi binte Jamal Qureshi, iss nikkah mai Aamir Khan bin Akbal Khan ko apna Shohar qubool karti hai?" Laila swallowed, her grip on her trembling hands tightening as she felt people gazing at her in anticipation.

(Do you, Laila Qureshi, daughter of Jamal Qureshi, in this Nikkah, accept Aamir Khan son of Akbal Khan as your husband?)

"Qubool hai," Laila said, her voice hitching the first time. The same question was repeated twice again and her answer remained the same, her voice becoming confident by the last time. The Maulvi recited a few prayers before Mubarak's and congratulations spread in the air as everyone hugged her.

She was now officially Mrs. Laila Aamir Khan.

Laila's Chachu handed over the already signed Nikkahnama to the Maulvi before the white cloth which acted as a partition between Aamir and Laila was slowly removed, making them sit jointly, even though they weren't facing each other. A copy of the Quran was arranged in between their seats before their heads were sheltered with a dupatta and a mirror was brought before them.

With Laila's heart beating erratically, she slowly raised her eyes, clashing with the dark orbs of Aamir, already staring at her intently through the mirror, before Laila lowered her gaze shyly. The mirror was soon removed and then being directed by the Maulvi, they recited a few prayers.

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur as they seeked elders' blessings and were showered with gifts.

——

The fragrance of jasmines, along with the room dimly lit with scented candles, created an exotic atmosphere. The rose petals scattered on the bed just added to what the upcoming night held for the newlyweds.

With her head veiled and her wedding lehenga scattered around her, Laila sat in the middle of the bed. Her hands, adorned with deep brown henna, fumbled with each other while her heart beated with nervousness as she heard commotion outside the room.

Within minutes, the door of the room opened and then it closed, with a click. There was a moment of pause, as Aamir took in the room, cursing under his breath and then his eyes fell on Laila.

Laila sucked in a shaky breath, as she heard Aamir's footsteps nearing her, towards the bed. The bed dipped as he sat beside her. Her shaking hands fisted as Aamir lifted the veil.

With her hair tied up in a loose bun, decorated with white flowers, her kohl lined gaze lowered while her lips coloured in a maroon lip shade and the contrasting gold jewellery enhanced her red joda.

"Agar humse nazre chura kar baithengi toh hum bhi aapko muh dikhai ka tohfa aadha hi denge," Aamir commented, his lips tilting up as her cheeks turned rosy. Few minutes of silence surrounded them before Aamir was rewarded for his patience as she mustered up the courage and raised her gaze.

(If you will continue to shy away, I will also give you half of the wedding gift.)

Aamir released the breath he didn't know he was holding as his eyes met her gaze, as deep as a dark canyon.

"Laila, aap bohot haseen lag rahi hain," Aamir murmured, gently feathering her face with the back of his fingers before pulling it away.

(Laila you look very pretty)

"Ji, shukriya," Laila whispered, her voice timid.
(Thank you)

She watched under her lashes in anticipation as he picked up the velvet box beside him and opened it, revealing two gold khandani kangans. Taking out one of them, Aamir held out his hand for her. When Laila placed her hand in his, he gently rolled them down her wrists while softly informing, "Ye humari Amma ne diya tha humari begum ke liye. Adhrey saal ki thi jab woh haveli aayi thi. Khud ki aulad na ho saki isliye unke shohar ne unhe ghar se bedakhal kar diya tha aur tab se issi haveli main hai. Humari Ammi se zyada unhone hume paala hai. Saara waqt bas bawarchi khane main bita ti hai. Kal subah aapko unse milayenge."