6. library • afterword

That night, you're so engrossed in your thoughts that you don't get a wink of sleep. You spend the next day in a daze, only really coming to your senses when you realize that you'd passed out on your desk at some point and that school had ended almost half an hour ago.

You rouse yourself and, before you can double guess your decision, rush over to the library.

By the time you get there, Gun is already sitting at your table with a practice test in front of him. His pen is limp in his hand. Though he's staring at the test with mildly furrowed brows, he isn't actually writing anything.

It's already been half an hour since you would normally start your lessons. A glimpse at the page reveals that only three of the questions are answered on the first page.

"Question one is wrong," you tell him, coming to a stop next to him. "Sorry I'm late. I fell asleep in class..."

Gun turns his head. At the sight of you standing next to him, wind-swept and out of breath, his brows shoot up.

"You're here," he says. There's not much inflection in his voice, but you know him well enough by now to tell that he's surprised.

"That," you say, ducking your head. "I've already been paid for the month, so..."

Gun leans back in his chair, his face turning blank. "You can just keep the money. Or return it if you like, it doesn't matter to me."

"No, I... I want to see you pass your test," you say shyly. "That's okay, right?"

Gun nods, his eyes boring into you.

You smile back. Picking up a pen, you sit down next to him, pull over the practice set, and begin to go over the questions.

You go through the entire set of questions as if nothing has changed at all. Gun is quieter than usual; you can feel him staring at you throughout the whole lesson. It's usually you who can't read Gun, but this time, he looks as if he doesn't know what you're thinking.

You finish class as usual. After you finish explaining the last question, Gun clears his things and then wordlessly reaches for the bag sitting by his feet. You recognize it as your bag from the bookstore yesterday.

Before he can grab it, you softly tug at the edge of his sleeve.

Gun turns to you.

"That was my first kiss," you tell him, solemn.

His brows furrow in thought. "I see," he says, calmly. "If you want an apology, I..."

Gun pauses when you suddenly lean in towards him, both of your hands reaching up to his face. He remains still, allowing you to carefully slip off his glasses.

You had thought about this all of yesterday, after Gun had let you go, and all throughout the night, too. It had left you tossing and turning to know it, but... When Gun had kissed you, it had made your head go blank. Your toes had curled, and you had unthinkingly clutched at him and kissed him back.

And afterwards, when he had silently released you so you could rush red-faced away from the alley, you really had intended to break off all ties with him. But the thought of actually doing it had been like a physical ache in your chest, leaving you miserable and short of breath. It had felt more than you could bear.

What did that mean?

Well, what else could it mean?

Gun's eyes are as dark as always. The terrible scar is still there. But, you think, he doesn't look like a frightening demon right now. He just looks surprised.

You meet his gaze directly, without an ounce of fear or hesitation.

"That was my first kiss," you repeat, stern. "So you have to take responsibility."

A slow smile begins to tug at Gun's mouth. He looks steadily back at you. "And how do you want me to take responsibility?"

"Like this," you say, before pulling him down and pressing your lips to his.

__

[ library • afterword ]

Gun, of course, wasn't actually going to apologize. He was going to say, "If you want an apology, I can't give that." Because he's not sorry!!!

Let me know in the comments what you liked (or didn't like)~

This is the last part of the [library] arc in Coulisse, and used to be the epilogue attached to the original [library • 4]. Now we're done this arc, and will go on to new territory starting from next chapter!