𝟒𝟒 | 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 ᯓ ᡣ𐭩

┊͙˖*°

sakusa winced slightly as he tossed the ball to atsumu who stood across from him.

the pain in his shoulder felt worse than usual. it was a nagging ache that would flare up every single time he swung all the way through. sakusa could only snap his wrist to avoid it.

"hey! you're good for tomorrow, right 'tsumu?" bokuto stood next to atsumu, turning to him as the ball left his hand.

bokuto had been gushing about his plans for tomorrow since practice had started, roping everyone into them.

atsumu grinned at him, "of course! i'm so excited! can't wait to get into the water!"

"me too!" hinata chimed in, his loud voice ringing in sakusa's ear. still, he was so lost in his own thoughts he couldn't make out their conversation. though he knew they were talking— it was just the nagging, background sound to his thoughts.

"us too!" inunaki cheered, referring to the rest of the team.

"what about you, omi?" sakusa finally looked at his team, his nose scrunching at the nickname, but he couldn't bother to correct them today. he was too sucked into his own problems to pay it any mind.

"i'm..-" sakusa trailed off, briefly meeting their eyes before looking back at the ball in front of him and tossing it to atsumu again. he didn't them on his ass today, so he lied.

"-thinking about it," he finished, his team none the wiser.

after that, sakusa didn't hear anything else. he was simply focusing on the twinge in his shoulder.

how annoying.

every swing felt like a sharp pinch in his shoulder, and every time he just willed the discomfort away, convinced he could walk it off.

but that wasn't like him. why was he trying to ignore this?

sakusa didn't "walk" things off. if he knew there was a potential risk to make his injuries worse he would take every opportunity to rest—it was the only logical thing to do. so what was he doing here, relentlessly swinging at atsumu's sets? maybe it was his pride.

"damnit!" sakusa groaned as he watched his hit go out by a long shot.

"swing through, kiyoomi!" his coach shouted, glaring at the ball that hit the wall and rolled away.

"sorry," sakusa muttered, running a weary hand through his hair.

bokuto quickly stopped the boy as he walked past him, his usual smile replaced with a frown. "are you okay?" he asked, careful not to be too pushy.

bokuto was all for messing with sakusa a bit, but he knew where to draw the line, and right now sakusa clearly wasn't in the mood.

"i'm fine." sakusa insisted.

bokuto only stared. he wasn't buying it.

after all, it was hard to miss the way sakusa looked away and rolled his shoulders back as he walked off.

"hey!" bokuto followed him, placing a hand on his shoulder. sakusa's patience was starting to wear thin and bokuto's touching him didn't help.