Chapter Twenty-Two

She couldn't take this.
This woman, this thing, was trying to suck the life out of both of them.
Vivian clitched her head in her hands, trying to get herself together, trying to keep her thoughts in her head and not bursting out everywhere.
She was terrified.
But nothing, absolutely nothing, could stop Vivian Long.
Not even the Snatcher Woman.
She jumped on her, and puzzlingly enough, the Snatcher Woman threw Vivian off not in rage, not in surprise, but in terror.
In fear.
And Vivian knew exactly why.
So she started to make a plan.

Macy felt her heart speed up.
Tension was building.
Something was happening.
Deep magic.
She was still unconcious,
But she could feel it.
She could feel it coursing through her veins, at practically the speed of light.
Magic.

Carrie screamed.
The monster's nails were piercing her ankle, making streams of blood flow down. She tripped, and the monster dragged her back.
She flicked her eyes to Vivian, who was carefully making her way across the rotting carcass of a room. She picked up the shattered locket, the bronzy metal gleaming in her hands.
She walked over to the Snatcher Woman, leaning over her, holding up the jagged, rusty metal of the broken locket.
The Snatcher Woman didn't even look up, she was too busy lapping up blood, a grin on her skeleton face.
Carrie didn't even feel the pain.
Then Vivian brought the shard of metal down, right where the creature's heart should be.
"Die, Marietta."

Maple heard the screech.
Then she woke up.
All she could see was black, thick, oily blood.