IIXX

iixx - surprise!

11th of June, 2023, Chicago

-4:07pm-

"WHAT? Wait wait wait wait wait, what? Wait, WHAT?!" Pippa's brain was short circuiting.

"Pip-"

"What do you mean there's another Tweet?!"

"Pippa-"

"What do you mean your manager wants to use me as a PR stunt?!"

"Pippa."

"What do you mean I'm going to be all over the internet?!"

"Pippa, could you please-"

"Gracie! this is a disaster!"

"Pippa!"

"Oh god, what am I gonna do?!"

"Birdy! Please! Listen to me!"

And for the first time since Gracie broke the news to the younger girl, Pippa shut up. Gracie's not a yeller. She doesn't raise her voice, at least not at Pippa, never at Pippa. So when she did, Pippa knew that she was serious.

"You don't have to do it if you don't want to. I'm just calling to let you know what's going on," Gracie explained, calming back down and ensuring her voice was as gentle as possible as to not scare the poor girl even more.

"But- I thought you said your manager was already drawing up a contract...?" Pippa asked, confused.

"She is, but you don't have to sign it if you're not comfortable. I don't want to force you to do anything," Gracie said through a sigh.

"Do you even want this, Gray?" Pippa suddenly questioned, Gracie being taken aback by the remark.

"I-I don't know. I don't want to make you feel trapped," Gracie mumbled, almost as if she didn't really want Pippa to hear what she was saying.

"Gray..." Pippa wanted to cry.

And for once, it wasn't because she was sad, or scared, or angry, but because she was grateful. Grateful that someone had finally taken the time to listen to and understand her insecurities, had thought about them before they made a decision that would affect her, and asked her for her opinion. Even when Gracie's career was in question, she still wanted to make sure that Pippa was comfortable, and for that she was grateful. But she couldn't ever find the courage to tell Gracie that. So, instead, she changed the topic.

"Why exactly does your manager think this is a good idea again?" Pippa asked.

"She says it makes a good 'story', which will help build intrigue around my album and its release. But I think it's stupid, because you're not a character, Pippa, you're a real, living, breathing, human being, and one that I happen to be very fond of," Gracie admitted.

"I-" Pippa was at a loss for words.

It was undeniable that a little extra money couldn't hurt Pippa's circumstance. In fact, any amount of money added to her savings - especially after she blew through them on Taylor Swift tickets - would help her make it through college without going broke from paying rent and somehow in this lifetime acquire a down payment on an apartment. Pippa didn't want to ever pay rent again after she finished her degree at UChicago and inevitably departed The Windy City.

"Please, even if you're the slightest bit uncomfortable, I don't want you to put yourself through that just for me," Gracie pushed further.

"Gray, it's okay. It'll be okay, I'll do it," Pippa whispered.