Chapter VI - Lullaby From The Past

Note: not edited

Chapter 6 - Lullaby From The Past

“Whatever tragedy thy has befallen upon me, tis’ naught be a hindrance to cease me from thy falling for my Romeo, my darling Romeo and –

“This is so not going to work!” I shouted in frustration inside the school auditorium. I crumpled the script for the upcoming audition for the part of Juliet for the play, then again, I straighten back the script. I have been doing this repeatedly for the whole afternoon, yet I couldn’t seem to capture the right personality in playing as Juliet.

How could I role-play as Juliet Capulet, when both of us have different personality?

Isn’t that what actors do when they play? They give life to the person who they are supposed to act as, thus they also capture the character’s personality, my mind was telling me.

My other mind has a point. In order to give life to the character, the actor himself should also capture the character’s personality, which I’m having hard time to portray Juliet’s personality. Actually, Juliet and I have different personality and, no doubt easy to give life to her character if I am to role-play her.

The truth is, its quite easy to portray as Juliet, but the problem would be the feelings and emotions of how to act as Juliet. Every actions, words and personality must become one in order to portray her character. A character, who seeks for love, falls in love and dies in love. The things that are the total opposite from my perspective.

I neither want to seek, fall nor die for love. What is the point of having love when you can’t have it in the end. It’s just silly and plain stupid to have that kind of views. I could only say that whoever invented a tragic love, should never be born, say William Shakespeare, perhaps?

I was wringing both my hands as if I were gripping Shakespeare’s throat for even writing the tragic story of Romeo and Juliet. It was for best that not everyone would have ever had to think of any sad thoughts about it.

Tragic love.

Walking towards the center of the stage, I calmed myself. I guess it isn’t half bad that Shakespeare did write the tragic story, since it became the best and famous love story in history. So, I couldn’t put the blame on him, besides there’s no point in arguing to a person who died centuries ago.

I heavily sighed and started to practice again, when I heard someone sneered behind me. Before I even have to turned around who it was, all I said, “I can’t practice well if I have to breathe the same air when you are here,” I turned and smirked. “Bitch-any.”

Brittany glared at me before she showed me a cynical smile. She walked towards me turning around and grabbed my copy of the script. “So, I see your practicing to audition the lead role of Juliet.”

I grabbed my copy back from her, not too gently. “You don’t need to mention it through words when obviously, your sense of sight could see what I’m doing,” I sarcastically said to her.

She just rolled her eyes and continued saying, “Did you hear the rumour that there are only two people who are going to be auditioning for the role of Juliet?”

“No doubt, I’m one of the two persons in the rumour and would get the role of Juliet,” I calmly said while raising one eyebrow at her. “Whoever is the other one, I would just sweep her off the floor since she’s to bossy, mean and way to dramatic to play as Juliet,” I gave her a pointed look, which meant that I was referring to her.

The entire school knows about our feud especially when it comes to getting the lead role character. We have always been competing to be first, and this is the first stage play that I will be competing against her. Especially the play is about the famous star-crossed lovers of William Shakespeare’s writings.