𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕

"-WHAT MY PURPOSES ARE and how to obtain them."

    "What a great job you are doing to obtain them, indeed."

    Head snapping towards the woman, Anthony's jaw clenched roughly. "Is this going to become a regular occurrence? Your eavesdropping, that is?' He let out an exasperated sigh, sword in hand barely missing the taller man's head as he unintentionally swung it angrily.

    "My lord, if you do not wish to behead your brother, I would advise you to put the sabre down." Adila said, looking at Benedict and Colin and giving them a polite bow of her head.

    "It's an épée." Anthony's eyes narrowed as he regained his composure, correcting her with a firm yet gentle tone.

    "It is indeed a sabre, Anthony." Colin coughed lightly, offering a nonchalant shrug to his older brother as he shot him a pointed glance.

    "I sincerely apologize for my rude interruption, but if it is okay with you two, may I have a word with your brother?" She explained, giving them an awkward smile.

    As Benedict parted his lips to utter a word, Anthony swiftly interjected. "Whatever it is you must say, you can say in front of these two." He said, eyes following Adila's hand closely as she dismissed the maid standing beside her.

    "I am not appreciative of your interruption during my outing with Lord Lendorr this afternoon."  Not waiting for a beat of silence, she spoke firmly, her intense stare never faltering as she locked her fingers together in front of her. "Nor do I appreciate your argument with my younger brother regarding the payment for my books."

    "I do not see the problem, lady Bellerose." The man dressed in white stood there, his eyes fixed on her every move, even though she remained the same. "I am wishing to court you, it is not inappropriate to do such things."

    "It is not inappropriate, but it is disrespectful." Adila persisted, teeth gritting in frustration at the obstinate man. "I elucidated to you that you are not what I seek in a spouse, just as I am not what you seek."

    "Is this about what you heard on the terrace again?" Anthony extended his arm, passing the fencing sword to Benedict and took a step towards the girl. "You act as if I am some kind of villain when every other woman in London aspires for the kind of marriage I am offering."                       

    "Then perhaps you should go offer it to them. I have no desire to wed a gentleman who will not regard me as someone he loves." With a frustrated sigh, she found herself folding her arms tightly across her chest in irritation. "I do not wish to live a dull life. Stay silent, exhibit obedience, bear his offspring, nurture them, and replicate the cycle, all the while I endure discontentment. Not you. Who shall occupy himself with work, attend the occasional brothel and return to more pleasurable partners, as you put it."

    "H-"

    "I have refrained from truly speaking my mind as you continue to pester me, but I refuse to continue to dilute myself to be more easily digested by you. You may choke for all I care."

      "Is that a threat?" His eyebrows furrowed in on each other, clearly caught off guard by her words.

      "Did it sound like a compliment?" Without allowing him a chance to respond, she exhaled deeply and cast a quick glance at the two individuals who were observing her with their eyes wide. "I apologize once more for the interruption. Good day."

    "It is no problem." The words escaped their lips, barely audible as they watched Adila shoot Anthony a final exasperated glance. With a sharp turn, she made her way back the expansive trail, carefully surrounded by towering bushes.