Chapter 39

In his dark fortress, Varian paced the stone floor, his mind racing with thoughts of the recent events. The news of Elara and her companions acquiring the artifact from Veridia had reached him, and it had only fueled his determination to crush their rebellion.

He turned to his most trusted lieutenant, a shadowy figure who had served him faithfully for years. "They think they can outsmart me, take what is rightfully mine. But they are mistaken."

The lieutenant bowed. "What are your orders, my lord?"

Varian's eyes gleamed with malice. "We will not wait for them to come to us. We will strike first. Prepare our forces. We will intercept them before they can use that artifact against us."

As the lieutenant left to carry out his orders, Varian sat on his throne, his thoughts turning to Elara. He could sense her growing strength and determination, but he also sensed her fears and doubts.

"You think you can defeat me, Elara," he muttered to himself. "But you are still just a child, clinging to the past. I will show you the true meaning of power."

Varian closed his eyes, focusing on his dark magic. He reached out across the realms, seeking a connection with Elara. If he could sow seeds of doubt and fear within her, it would make her easier to defeat.

As his mind reached hers, he whispered, his voice like a serpent's hiss. "Elara, you cannot win. Your friends will fall, and you will be alone. Give up now, and spare them the pain."

Elara, lying in her tent, stirred in her sleep, her dreams darkening with Varian's whispers. She felt a cold dread seep into her heart, but a warm, reassuring presence broke through the darkness. Kael's hand, still holding hers from earlier, grounded her, giving her strength.

Varian sensed the resistance and snarled in frustration. "Enjoy your false hope while it lasts, Elara. I will crush it soon enough."

As he withdrew, his resolve hardened. The final confrontation was drawing near, and he would ensure that when it came, he would emerge victorious.