CHAPTER 4 AEDEN

The next day, I had in front of me a file containing everything there was to know about my new bride-to-be. I always liked to study my enemy before the battle, learning about their strengths and weaknesses. The only difference this time was that my sword and powers wouldn't help me defeat her.

As I took a comfortable position in the chair of my office, I opened the file and started reading. At first, everything seemed normal—she wasn't anything special, just another princess who didn't take no for an answer. But then, my eye caught something that might create a problem for me. She planned to leave her court and travel around Calthia, and worst of all, she didn't want to marry. This was going to be an issue. Not that I cared what she wanted, but I had a whole court to rule; I shouldn't have to deal with a whining, spoiled wife too. Anyway, she would learn to be obedient to me whether she liked it or not. At least she had enough hobbies, like horse riding and art, to keep her occupied while I was working.

Leaving the file down, I looked at Orrin, who was standing on the other side of the desk waiting for me to finish reading.

"Is that all?" I asked him.

"Yes," he replied. "I couldn't find any more information about her."

"Well, I think that is all I need to know about her."

"Did you find what you were looking for?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied quickly before dismissing him. I needed some time alone to process the new information and make a good plan on how to make the little princess obedient so she wouldn't be an obstacle for me. But before he could leave the room, a guard entered and, after apologizing for the bother, informed me that my father wanted me in his office to discuss an important matter again. When I nodded and dismissed the guard, I saw that Orrin tried to leave, but I stopped him.

"Wait," I said. "You are coming with me."

"I don't think this is proper, Aeden."

"You are coming with me and that is final. If my father doesn't like it, he can deal with it, but I want you with me," I said in a strict voice, and he nodded.

He was the general of the Fae court and my best friend; we had known each other since birth, so I wanted him with me for whatever unhappy surprise my father had kept from me.

When we reached my father's office, I stormed in without knocking, and Orrin followed close behind me. Let's get this over with.

"What is it again, Father?" I asked, annoyed.

"We need to work on your manners now that a beautiful lady is coming to live with us," he said, mostly to himself.

"I don't have all day, neither does Orrin."

"Then he can leave; I didn't ask for him anyway," my father said to me. "Sit down, boys," he ordered, and we both sat down.

"I communicated with King Edward to make the proper arrangements for the wedding," my father started saying. "He agreed to welcome us into his court so we can hold the wedding there."

"WHAT?" I said, starting to get mad. He wants us to go to the Mortal court for the wedding. He can't be serious.

"We will leave for the mortal lands in three hours. This way we will have time to negotiate this arrangement and make the proper preparations," he said, ignoring my question.

"Father, this is a beneficial decision. I want to remind you that in the Mortal court..."

"Yes, yes, I know we cannot use our magic there. But I am sure that King Edward would never agree to bring his family here," he said, cutting me off.

I thought about what he said and, surprisingly, I agreed with him. No logical mortal king would bring his weak family to the Fae court.

"What if it is a trap?" I asked.

"This is the last thing that could happen. King Edward benefits from this deal more than we do," he replied, and I nodded.

As I got up to leave so I could get everything ready for our departure, my father stopped me.

"One last thing, Aeden," he said, and I turned. "You will marry this girl at any cost, and you will treat her with respect, or else the crown will never be in your hands. Do you understand me?"

His words brought me so much rage, but I knew from the look on his face that whatever I said, I wouldn't change his mind, so I nodded and left.

Once we were out of the office, I said to Orrin, "You are coming with us, so get ready."

I didn't let him give me an answer before I left quickly for my room to get my things ready. When I reached my room, I found all my bags packed. After I checked everything and was satisfied with the result, I sat on the couch to think.

She was going to bring so many problems to my life that I didn't need right now, but I was going to put her in line one way or another. I had never seen her in real life, only heard stories about her and her family, even though she was never much in the picture when the Mortal court was mentioned. I hoped she was at least attractive. It would make the heir process a lot easier for both of us. Not only that, but I would like to see a pretty face when I returned to my wing, usually for resting at night.

After three hours, I had finished all of my jobs and was ready to leave. I had informed everyone in the castle, especially the guards, of our departure and instructed them on the work they needed to accomplish while my father and I were in the Mortal lands.

***

The trip was short since the courts were not far from each other, so in two hours we reached the borders. Once the king opened the shield so our carriage could get through, I looked out of the window and I SAW HER.