Belong

Cloud pulled off the old bandages and rubbed on the medicine the next morning. The smaller stab wounds have healed and he can now walk without a limp.

He looked up at the clock and saw that it was 8:45am. He could already hear the kids laughing with Chase downstairs, telling them jokes or something. Tifa's business in the kitchen was also audible from Cloud's room. He walked down to find Chase leading the kids outside. Before they set foot, Cloud stops Denzel from following.

"Hey, Cloud," Denzel whispered, shuffling his feet.

Cloud came down to his level and held his shoulder. "Denzel, I'm sorry about what happened at that burnt down house," he said. Denzel's eyes connected with Cloud's. "I was in a mood that day and I didn't feel comfortable in that place. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Denzel smiled and pushed Cloud's hand away. "Yeah, I know," he giggled. "Tifa told me that you were angry and that I did the wrong thing. But what happened that day was fun. We haven't been going anywhere for a while. So, thanks, Cloud."

Denzel ran out the door to join Marlene and Chase. Cloud smiled and rose, catching Tifa smiling from the kitchen, but she pretended to notice him smiling back. Cloud waved her off and pushed open the bar doors, the sun blinding his eyes.

Cloud strolled around the corner to find Marlene pinned to a wall, covering her eyes with her hands. She seemed to be mumbling something. Cloud saw Chase holding Denzel's arm, leading him to a small garden that was across the road. They both ducked down behind the herb bushes. They were playing hide and seek.

Cloud walked past Marlene, hearing her counting under her breath. He stopped where Fenrir was parked and grabs the nearest cloth and started wiping the handle bars and the oil splattered engine.

Marlene opened her eyes and waved to Cloud. Cloud nodded in response and left Marlene to search for the boys. She found them fast because she ran, quickly across the road and shouted at them. Chase rose and started chasing her around. It wasn't long until Denzel joined in. Cloud didn't understand what they were doing, but he ignored them, aiming to eliminate the black stains on his engine.

Chase came with Marlene hanging onto his back and Denzel rushed past them, running along the street. Chase whistled as he stopped near Cloud's bike.

"Nice motorcycle, Cloud," he said, impressed. "Where'd you get it?"

"I made it." Cloud answered simply.

Chase crouched down next to him, inhaling the oil and metal plates deeply. Cloud was uncomfortable. "My dad would've been fascinated by this, Cloud," Chase said. "He could really use an engineer,"

"I'm not an engineer," Cloud sighed, throwing the cloth into his pocket, dusting his hands. "Hey, Chase. Where'd you live?"

"Me?" Chase seemed surprised by the question, but a large grin spread across his face. "Around Midgar,"

Cloud almost dropped his wrench when he answered. He looked at Chase's face and thought that he might have seen him before but this is the first for Cloud. He crouched and started tightening some bolts and he saw Marlene right next to him staring in interest.

"Can we go see Aerith?" she asked.

"Not today, Marlene," Cloud said, flicking the wrench towards a cardboard box. "I'm working," Cloud indicated his bike with his hands, wrapped in his leather gloves.

"I can take you,"

Cloud turned slowly to see Chase volunteering himself to go. Marlene's face lit up, but Cloud felt annoyed. More offended, actually. Did he even know who Aerith is? Was?

"Could I come?!" Denzel shouted from out of nowhere.

"Sure," Chase replied with the same energy that Denzel had. "Cloud do you want to come, too?"

Cloud almost laughed. He asked the question as if Cloud has never been to the place. Chase knew nothing about Aerith and Cloud bets that Chase isn't aware that she's dead, or that they're not going to meet her.

Chase stretched his hand out, for Cloud to take it. Cloud scoffed under his breath then Marlene spoke out.

"Come with us Cloud."

Cloud smiled at Marlene who smiled back and shook his head. "I've got plans," he answered, swinging a leg over his bike. "Denzel, tell Tifa that I'll be back,"

Cloud revved the engine and drove off, looking at the side mirror. Marlene was waved him away and Chase stood there with his odd smile.

--------------------------------

Cloud sped through the crumbling road. The air in front of Cloud was very foggy and he got an icy bite of wind as he cut through the cold clouds. It was getting close to winter.

Cloud slowed and turned into the side of the road and rode off road. When a small hill came into view, Cloud turned the vehicle and climbed up it. When he reached the top, he curved Fenrir and parked.

Cloud walked off the bike and walked up to a large sword stuck into the ground, dusting the cobwebs away.

"Hey, old friend,"

Cloud pulled out the sword and blew away the dust. He grabbed the cloth that was in his pocket and shined the blade. It was starting to rust and copper coloured bits chipped off onto the ground. He inspected the end of the blade, seeing it rusty and old, but still straight. Cloud flipped the sword over and polished the other side. When he placed it back in the hole, he cleaned the hilt and smiled. It was cleaner than what it was before.

Cloud sat down next to Fenrir, staring at Zack's sword. He started thinking about the times that they had together. Then Cloud's mind switched to the time of his death. He quickly shook his head and looked away from the sword.

Behind it was an old, destroyed facilities that were used for the architects who designed both the building and the plan design for Shinra. It was mainly those people's fault that so many lives were lost.

Because of Shinra, or of becoming a SOLDIER, Cloud has lost a lot of friends. Most of his life was filled with tragedy. Aerith, Zack, Eva, his mum and his dad are all the people who he cared about and died. He missed Aerith's comforting words, Zack's weird stories, Eva's hopeful smile, his mum's gentle hands and his dad's love for him.

Cloud knew that Shinra wasn't the start of his dark part to his life, but he wished it was another way.

The fog got thicker and Cloud looked up at the grey sky, his eyes closed, thinking. He felt a single drop fall on his cheek and got up to leave.

He said bye to Zack and started up Fenrir. Cloud's phone vibrated in his pocket. It wasn't long so it wasn't a call. It was probably Tifa asking him to run an errand. When he checked his phone, a number popped up on the screen that Cloud didn't recognise. When he flipped his phone open, the text automatically opened.

Will you avenge your father? ;)