Chapter 26

I gave myself the well-deserved bath I promised myself. Vanilla scented. I relaxed in the bathtub, sipping wine from my holding glass. It has been a while since I've felt so stressed.

And I'm not exaggerating, I can feel the tension lining my neck, making it stiff. Too much is going on and I've officially lost control. I don't know what to do anymore. And I don't want to leave. 

My phone pinged with countless notifications inside my bedroom. Guess who's not getting it? This temperature is way too comfortable, and the vanilla works wonders for my mind. 

But my paranoia sets in and not even a second later, I grip the sides of the bathtub and pull myself up from my short-lived comfort zone. I walked from the bathroom naked, wet steps trailing behind to grab my phone from the vanity. 

Headlines floated in my notification bar, and then the name Tylon Gray followed. I covered my mouth in a gasp. I definitely shouldn't have left my bathtub. Because from this moment onwards, relaxation will not come easily.  

Despite everything, I still returned to the safety of my bathtub, this time I had my knees to my chest, tension and anxiety having a field day as I scrolled through the media. Gray's Empire has fallen. In two days, investors have withdrawn their shares, clients have revoked their contracts and the media following the story is a shitstorm. 

Who could have done this? And how was it done in record time when it's one of the most structured businesses in the city? 

He threatened me, he forced me to do something against my will and he lied. So why do I feel bad for him? Why do I want to call him?

Someone cleared their throat and I looked up to see Vaughn hovering at the threshold. 

"You okay?" he asked.

"Is what I'm reading true?" I whispered because the intensity of the situation was threatening to break something that I didn't know existed. I slid into the bathtub a fraction so that the water could conceal my body. 

"Yes, I came as soon as I can," he steps forward, handing me a zip lock bag with papers, "your new identity and documents. You have to get out of here."

"But I don't understand what is happening," I shouted, "turn around so I can get out of this bathtub. All I fucking asked for is one moment where I can feel relaxed, I didn't even get to finish my freaking wine."

Vaughn did what he was told, allowing me to stand and grab a towel from its rack, wrapping it around myself. Then I pushed past him into the bedroom, "Well, Tylon is going down and if you don't leave, you are going with him."

I rolled my eyes in frustration, searching my drawers for night clothes, "why is it that you guys are always appearing when I'm half-naked?"

"Who else appeared when you were half naked? You know what- never mind. You're worried about the wrong things."

I paused to look at him, "What did you do Vaughn?" I asked genuinely because he seemed too involved and he knows too much. And right now it seems like everyone around me has their endeavours, and I'm tied into a web of lies. 

"What do you mean?" he asked with narrowed eyes, catching on to my speculation, "do you think I orchestrated this? That this is what the phone call was about? I called to get you documents and a new identity on short notice."

"Oh," I replied, taking out my cotton sleepwear set, "can you explain how this happened?"

He shook his head, "I don't know Zuri, my only concern is you at this moment and the police are investigating Tylon. And once they have enough to arrest him, I have no doubt he will rat you out."

I dropped my towel and slid into my PJs, leaving Vaughn's eyes widened at the sight of my naked body. I met his gaze which slowly returned to normal as he let out a small laugh.

"You are crazy," he says, a smile on his face before he turns around to give me some semblance of privacy. 

"But you love that, don't you?" I take my phone and walk past him to the living room with the documents, "come."

Sitting on the couch, I folded my legs beneath me. The TV was on, displaying some talk show about the news headlines. I shut it off. Vaughn sat beside me shortly and I emptied the documents on my lap. 

"Here we go again," I huff, "so how is this going to go? When do I leave?"

 "Shortly. Whenever you are ready but it has to be this week."

"Where am I going?" 

"Anywhere you want to."

"Are you coming with me?" I asked sadly. This is a ritual, something the end of every mission comes with, but this came too soon and I fell in love with living here. Being here with a certain someone. Now I probably won't ever see him again. 

It's probably for the best. 

"If you want me to," he told me, "you know I will."

I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly, nuzzling my face against his neck, "what would I do without you?"

"I'll never let you find out. I love you Zuri, everything is gonna be fine."

Tears brimmed my eyes, "I love you too and I hope so."

The hug lasted about a minute before he pulled away, leaving a kiss on my forehead, "you're safe with me,  you don't have to worry okay?"

Leaning back on the couch I examined my new documents, "I know, thank you," I responded meeting his gaze. "By the way, did you find out who was following me?"

"Yes- actually," he said scratching his neck, "It was surprising even for me, are you sure you want to hear it now?"

I could feel a knot tie itself in my gut, the worst-case scenario involves Makai and I'm not sure how I'd take that. Because what we have with each other feels too real for him to be acting. Didn't it?

"Just spit it out. I can take it," I told him, even though my throat felt constricted.

"Your mom hired someone to watch you," he said in a small voice, probably wishing that he didn't have to say it because he knew it would make my blood boil. And he wasn't wrong.

"What? How- how did she even find me?" I asked, feeling speechless and drained at the revelation.

"I guess that has to do with your brother and to be honest Zuri, I think you should visit her," he proposed, threading deep waters because he knows it is a sensitive topic. "If she cares that much to hire someone to watch you and report to her...I can't imagine how much she misses you."

More like obsessed. But I wasn't going to say that. He's right. Now I know for sure where I'm going at the end of this week.