Chapter 16: Lucy Michelle Klein

13 Days Left

Anton POV

I knew I had been harsh on Thalia. I knew she really didn't want to hurt us... but hadn't Liam been the same way? What if she tried to kill us now?! How could I truly trust someone who was so obviously meant to be Dark. It was hard enough trusting Harley... but only because if she attacked us, I wouldn't die knowing I had been killed by the hands of someone I cared deeply for. I mean, honestly? I didn't know Thalia all that well, but she was important to L.J, so she was important to me. And if she did try to kill us and we somehow escaped... imagine how poor Lila Jane would feel. I only wanted to protect her, shield her from the world in any way I could... but I didn't have to be rude about it.

Anyway, Thalia clearly cared a lot about this Dylan guy. And Liam was a huge jerk, to put it lightly. Why didn't she deserve to be happy?

And, amongst all of this, my sixteenth birthday and kind of faded into the dark recesses of my mind. I honestly had no clue what day it was. It could be the day before my birthday... it could be months away. The concept of time was different in the Tunnels.

My phone battery had long since died, and it wasn't like there were heaps of electrical outlets everywhere.

Thalia screamed.

"What?" Lila Jane asked, panicking.

"He's... I don't think he's breathing..."

Emma sucked in a breath, biting her lip. Zane hardened his jaw. Carsten shut his eyes. I stood there, panicked, watching. Lila Jane ran to her cousin, who was kneeling on the ground next to Dylan's still body. And Harley... Harley just casually moseyed over, as if this were normal, experiencing death firsthand.

"Get up," she said. "My friend's house is just down that hill. We might make it in time."

"Might?" Thalia squeaked, but Harley was already walking away, down the hill, and we had to rush to keep up.

Upon reaching the top of the hill, I looked down and saw a small cottage. Why anyone would choose to live isolated in the Tunnels, I had no idea, but it was there. We hurried down to it.

Harley was already knocking on the door.

We held our breath for a few seconds, then let it out in relief when the door swung open.

"Harley? My word, it's been awhile. Come in... who are your friends?" a girl - Light - opened the door. She looked maybe eighteen, and she wore a blue and white striped shirt and a navy blue beanie. She had on skinny jeans and black Converse. Basically, she was kinda Tumblr.

Harley faced us. "Muscles is Zane, Jawline is Carsten, Evil Eyes is Thalia, Babyface is Lila Jane, Gray T-shirt is Anton, Blue Contact Lenses is Emma, and Dead Guy is Dylan. They're my... acquaintances. I brought them here because Dylan is either dead or dying, and you're a Thaumaturge. Fix him, please. Oh, and everyone, this is Lucy. Lucy Michelle Klein."