One

“Sir, I know should hold my tongue but… It has been almost six months do not you think that perhaps she is..umm... Have you thought that she might possibly be...” The young man stopped unable to say the word that left a bitter taste on his tongue. He thought about the possibility of the new to-be Queen dead and found it horrid. When she had first come to stay at the mansion he felt nothing but hatred for her. She was supposed to be the queen of a vampire kingdom; a human child of only 17. The thought at first made him laugh but as he got to know her he came to love her. Everyone whom she met loved her. Maybe that is what got her in this position.

            “Dead?” The young man looked up at the Prince. That was a mistake. “You were right. You should hold your tongue...and swallow it.” The Prince said disgusted that the young soldier would ever even consider the idea.

            “Sorry Sir. I meant no harm. It is just...” The young guard stopped unable to even finish the sentence. If they were to find the young to-be Queen dead the Prince would fall apart. Along with the Prince the kingdom would be in turmoil. The Prince's older brother would have to take the place as king, if ever the king should step aside or die.

            “If you meant no harm talk not about it. She is alive.” His hand went up to touch a heart shaped locket that sat on his neck. It was too small for his neck but it was just the right size for his beloved. It was the only thing that was left behind. “I can feel her.” The prince said softly slowly drifting into his thoughts. “She is alive. He would not have killed her. He wants her alive.” The words were meant for himself.

            Both, the young guard and the Prince's thoughts slowly drifted away to that night.

*    *   *

            “What are you doing here?” The second youngest Princess asked her younger brother. Sitting in the middle of the living room on the couch and chairs were all the heirs to the thrown; three Princesses and three Princes. They looked up at him smiling from ear to ear, knowingly.

            “Looking for father and mother.” The prince said smiling.

            Everyone nodded their head. “Where is Alexandra?” She asked unable to stop the giggle that came after.

            “Asleep.” He laughed and ran a hand throw his hair.

            Again, everybody nodded their head. “So....” She waited for her brother to tell the news but he did not say anything. If he were human his face would be red. “Is she going to marry you?” She half screamed unable to hide the enthusiasm anymore.

            The Prince looked at her unsurprise. “Yes.” He laughed. In the blink of an eye his siblings where surrounding him with hugs and kisses congratulating him. The marriage had been a sort of arranged marriage so when the Prince and young Alexandra, the soon-to-be Queen, meet again after 6 years and she did not like him everyone thought it would be a failure. To everyone's astonishment the Prince and Alexandra grew close.

            Of course there was an unforeseen misdirection when the King, Queen, and the heirs found out she had already previously dated a vampire. The vampire was none other than Lord Damien, the Princes best friend. Much to the Princes dismay neither of them were over each other, at least not fully. The Queen had decided that Alexandra must choose between the Prince and Lord Damien, which is why the marriage was a huge surprise for the Royal family.

            They stood there with the door a jar because they knew that even if they woke Alexandra she was there to stay. A sudden scream pierced the happy night air and in the Princes mind he knew exactly where that came from and who it belong to. Without a second thought he rushed over to his bed room where he left his bride-to-be. He banged on the door with all his might but the door would not budge. He knocked and pleaded with Alexandra to open the door.