thirtyeight | microphone

By the time I got off the bus at the stop closest to where Devin was supposed to be, I thought I'd never see him. It was nine o'clock at night and I was exhausted.

I would have gotten there earlier, but on my way to the bus, I ran into Larry again. He told me that the guy who sold snake tanks wasn't too far from me. I wanted to tell him that I was busy at first, but the snake did need a tank and I didn't know when I'd get around to purchasing one ever again, so I went with him. He took me to a man's house that was filled with parrots and other insects that almost brought me to vomiting a couple of times, but I finally chose the tank and the equipment that goes inside of it and left.

Making my way to Eastdale with a snake in its tank was one of the factors that slowed down the travel process. Another obstacle was that the drivers had to switch shifts, so the bus stopped and we were forced to wait about twenty minutes for the next driver to get there. He stumbled onto the bus with an untidy toupe and sweaty hands. His driving was much more organized than his appearance.

After the delays, along with the fact that I missed my stop and had to get off and walk back, I finally made it to the house. I recognized it immediately after seeing it—it might not have been so easy to spot in the day time. But now, at night when the lights in the living room gave the corner of the street an eerie yellow glow, all I could think about was that stormy night when I chased after Devin, desperate for his help.

That time, all I wanted was to be business partners with him. Now, I wanted answers to questions I wasn't even sure how to formulate.

I considered that as I walked up to the house. What would I ask? What would I say if he didn't answer the door? And after he did, and I got my answers, what would I do with them?

I looked down at San in his tank. It might be more polite if I left him outside. I could imagine how I'd react if Devin showed up at my door with a snake in hand questioning my honesty.

"Geneva?"

The sound of his voice gave me a rapid, sharp jolt. I didn't look up at first; it sounded like it was coming from everywhere, from in front of me and behind me and all around me. It felt like a cloak, a soft blanket from my childhood that engulfed me with nostalgia and a subtle doubt. I only looked at him when he took another step onto the front lawn and called my name again.

He looked quite dapper, wearing a gray-and-black sweater, black trousers, and expensive transparent square-frame glasses that made him look like a scholar and a sweetheart all at once. That was Devin—he appeared to be an innocent, genuine kid, but had a deadly air about him.

"Merry Christmas," I told him. He smiled and outstretched his arms for a hug. I took tentative baby steps on my way to him, but by the time I was close enough to him, I realized that I missed him. I wrapped my arms around him, inhaling the scent of soft cologne and home-baked pastries.

"Likewise. I saw a shadow prancing around outside so I had to come check it out, but I never expected you. What a pleasant surprise." He smiled.

"Yeah, well you always have to expect the unexpected with me."

"Come inside. Be very quiet though, and take off your shoes at the door. My ex's dad, Mr. Isaac, is asleep in his room. He doesn't really like company, especially unexpected." Devin said.

"Don't worry," I said. "I won't be long anyway."

He led me inside, glancing down at San with questioning eyes but no remarks. I put the tank on the floor, left my shoes next to it, and followed Devin onto the couch. The house was very welcoming; the walls were all donned with family pictures, there was Christmas tree in the corner with beautiful lights but no presents, and a large off-white couch. I sat down on it, sinking down into the warmness of this home. Everything about the room was light, cozy and perfect.