Chapter 16

(We passed the half way mark! I'm going to make this book about 30 chapters, possibly the high 20's? Also sorry for the bad edit for Sydney ._.)

I stared at my two friends scowling angrily at each other, bewilderment spreading across my face like a wave splashing on a beach.

"Dustpaw... Reedpaw... Why are you acting this way?" Featherpaw whispered hesitantly, and when I glanced over at my trembling sister, I noticed her eyes were round with fear and confusion.

I turned my gaze back over to the two toms, who were now sitting down and staring at the group of stunned cats around them, their fur still prickling with tension.

I tried to calm them down with soothing words, but my voice was throbbing in pain that I stopped myself from doing so, just staring at my two friends, not knowing what to do.

Ashcloud padded up to Reedpaw and guided him towards the left corner of the den, and Volepaw did the same with Dustpaw but to the right side.

Quiet murmurs echoed around the room, silent enough so that none of us could hear.

As I glanced around awkwardly, counting to see how many cats were in here, I noticed that Redeye wasn't around. Confusion crossed my mind.

"Where's Redeye?" I croaked, my words gurgled that they were hard to hear.

Ashcloud flicked her tail, signaling and telling me not to talk until it fully healed, making me grumble a muffled noise.

I shuffled my paws nervously as the awkwardness seemed to create a thick cloud hovering above all of us, rumbling and threatening to pour on our heads as we waited for the next outbreak from the two toms who were ruffling feathers.

Even though they were a ways away from each other, you could see them share anxious and worried glances towards one another, telling everyone that they still were unknown of each other.

I heaved a cracked sigh. With nothing going on except for the thick amount of tension in the air, it made me start to think and feel the intense pain crushing my neck. Seems as if the pulp disappeared.

The small pool in the back of the den was shimmering and glittering in the slightly shaded area, making me want to see how bad my wound actually was.

Padding over, I glanced down cautiously to make sure I wouldn't tweak it even more, and I made a silent gasp blow out of my mouth.

A swollen, bloody and deep scratch was raked across the center of my neck, and going to the back, creating a almost half circle.

The flesh was torn and the fur that stayed was plastered in dried blood, just spitz of it because earlier I knew that the medicine cats had to of cleaned us up.

A shiver ran down my spine and I quickly looked away, the image appearing in my mind every split heartbeat.

I stumbled back over to my nest and collapsed onto it, heaving breaths of fear that I could possibly die.

Obviously, everyone was staring at me like I was a badger with a flower in its mouth. Dancing.

They defiantly thought I was over reacting...

Later on, the tension between Dustpaw and Reedpaw seemed to have passed, and the clouds above our heads seemed to have faded a light fog.

And for some odd reason, they seemed to have been very interested in each other by the glances they shared every so often.

And soon they took a big step by Reedpaw padding up to Dustpaw and greeting himself to my brother, making a small smile cross my crushed face.

Soon chatter exploded inside the medicine cats den, mostly coming from the two toms talking.

It surprised me in a great way how they were so threatened by each other, and now it's like they're best friends again, but just meeting.

It made me happy to know at least my brother could have his friend back, and not have to go days with someone not supporting him or hanging out with him other than Stormpaw.

Yes, Dustpaw has been a snob to me in the past, but ever since Snowfall died, the tension between my siblings and I settled, and Featherpaw, Dustpaw and I seemed to have grown very close due to our horrible loss of both our parents, since Sandpatch dodges us as much as possible.

Everything felt different, and in the noisy area I was now suddenly in, I started to think of the prophecy and how one day I was going to be destroyed by the dog bone it stated.

And soon, I remembered when I was still just a kit, about two moons old, the memory barely visible, when I had that horrible, awful and scary dream... And waking up to find my mother scolding me to never mention it to anyone.

And the though just kept on racing...

Why? What is so bad about my nightmare, and how come I only had one?

All the memories of my kit-hood seemed to have come flooding back to my senses, and I realized that it wasn't as good as I had hoped.

I witnessed my mothers death... Before it even happened.

By another cat. By Sandpatch, my own father, or...

What was that white toms name? With the blood red eyes and daring spirit?

The one who practically admitted he was Flamestar's long lost and hated brother?

I don't remember, but I know for a fact it could've been him, spilling my mothers blood, right in front of my eyes.

Who left beloved Snowfall too struggle for hours, maybe even days.

How could anyone do that to an innocent she-cat?

Or... What if... It wasn't even- My thoughts were shattered when I heard a shriek of laughter coming from Dustpaw.

Even though I should feel more ecstatic about him and Reedpaw getting along, I couldn't anymore.

Snowfall's death repeated numerous amount of times that it made my heart plunge into darkness... And all I could do was try and find out who did this.

And finally I came to my senses, and came to the courageous decision that I should've thought of and done so ages ago.

I needed to find out who did this, before they do it again... Before they choose they're next victim, who could possibly be me.

(Hello, Batcats! I'm SOO sorry for the late update! I've been so busy and I've had writers block, but now I don't :3 I didn't mention Jumpingjay in this chapter because I thought I should focus more on her history than the deputy, but he'll be there soon. ^^
Weird how Dustpaw and Reedpaw got along so quickly, huh? *smirks*
I can't believe we're already half way through and they're so still not warriors.
I need to hurry!!!
Anyways, thanks for reading, sharing, voting, and commenting on this story! Means a lot too me! Peace ✌🏽️ ~ Cleo)