Chapter 30

When I got to Madame Lavoie's side, I saw that she was holding a small book in her hands. I was willing to bet that this was the oldest thing in here. The leather was cracked and faded and the pages looked so brittle that I feared one small touch of my fingers would cause them to crumble. Even Madame Lavoie was holding it with care.

 "What is it?" I asked.

"Take a look." She held the book out for me and I hesitated before taking it ever so carefully in my hands. When it was safely resting in my palms, she pointed to the center of the right page and I began to read.

A bonded pair is more rare than the lycan race is led to believe. An alpha who decides to participate in a blood bond puts his life and the life of his mate in extreme danger. Nearly every attempt will fall.The fates restricted a successful bond to a select few whom they chose themselves long ago. Even fewer of these bonded pairs will have the ability to dream as one.

To share a dream gives a pair near limitless power. The fates have already chosen which pairs will possess this ability and they chose each with purpose. A shared dream allows a pair to communicate without the boundaries of location and consciousness. The bond they share together intensifies, causing all other powers, both for themselves and their pack, to grow. Once the mates discover how to share dreams, they will have effectively placed themselves above all others of their kind.

This was the second time I'd read something that had mentioned dreams. I had an inkling that this was something I needed to pay close attention to. If I were being completely honest, it frightened me a bit. From what I could gather, having the ability to dream as one was dangerous. If the wrong people could do it, then who knew the kind of destruction and chaos they could create. It was so much responsibility to put on two people's shoulders. Somehow, I couldn't help but feel like Gabriel and I would be one of the "lucky" few. 

I wasn't sure how I knew this or how I felt about it. A part of me was certain that it was hugely invasive and I was upset that anyone other than myself could enter my unconscious. My dreams were my private world, things even I rarely remembered when I woke. Why did I have to share that much of myself?

The other part of me felt complete elation at the thought that this could help me save Gabriel. It was really no fun having a personal battle going on in your head. It was amazing how much I was being forced to work through issues I'd struggled with for years in mere days since I'd stumbled upon Gabriel's world.

"The other book mentioned something about dreams as well."

Madame Lavoie nodded. "Yes, I do remember dream sharing between bonded mates, but it's been so long since I've thought about it. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. Then again, I've never encountered a successfully blood bonded pair, let alone one who could dream as one, so it hadn't been necessary."

I looked up at her, an expression of worry clouding my face. "Do you think Gabriel and I can do this?" I asked. Even though I had just felt like we could, that little nugget of doubt was eating away at my previous confidence.

Madame Lavoie spent the next few minutes just staring at me. I had the feeling that she was assessing me in some way and it was making me extremely uncomfortable. Eventually, she must have come to some sort of conclusion, because she nodded her head with determination and cleared her throat.

"You and Gabriel are something special; I knew that the first time I laid eyes on you both together. Human or not, as a pair, you two are remarkable. I know you feel like an outsider in our world, but you belong here more than you know. That being said, I am quite confident that dream sharing is only one of the many powers that you and Gabriel gained as a result of the blood bond." Her tone was so...resolute. Not one ounce of doubt could be detected in her words and, somehow, they lessened the doubt that had begun to grow. It was strange the calming effect that Madame Lavoie had on me.