Ch 24

Ch. 24

I smiled, waving goodbye to Poppy as I left work. My Vans scuffed along the pavement as I started the walk home. I rummaged around in the bag over my shoulder, pulling out my Ipod and unwrapping the headphones. The buds were placed into my ears, flicking through the songs until I found a good walking beat.

My vision aimlessly wandered along the road, not taking much notice of my surroundings. The breeze picked up slightly, lifting my hair from my shoulders. I turned a corner, taking the short cut I always did across a car park. But I had to take a second glance as my eyes fell on a large black vehicle. One of my headphones was removed as I strolled a little closer. It had to be his car. I recognised part of the number plate.

I spun round on the spot, searching for the tall curly-haired guy that made my heart flutter. My disappointment surprised me a little. My gaze flicked to the building that the car park belonged to. It was some sort of gym. I found myself curious, wandering over to the entrance. My hands pressed to the glass door, struggling to open it. Once inside I wrapped my head phones up and placed my music back in my bag. The reception area was large. A number of doors leading off into different parts of the building. The white walls were littered with fitness posters. A woman at the desk smiled at me, a gesture which I reciprocated.

"Can I help you, Miss?"

I turned my head, having to tilt it up to see a rather tall, muscular man. His large frame intimidated me. I think my nervousness was apparent, as his stern face soon transformed into a friendly smile.

"I, umm..is Harry here?" I asked hopefully.

He looked at me for a second, his eyes taking in my full appearance. Confusion flashed his features before he spoke.

"Styles?" His deep voice questioned.

I nodded.

"Yeah. He's..." His head turned from side to side. "Come with me."

I followed the man into a massive training room. The smell of testosterone filled my senses. There were numerous people scattered round the space. All of them working out, lifting weights, doing press ups, taking swings at punching bags. My eyes were drawn to the middle of the hall, a large boxing ring in the centre. Worn ropes surrounded the raised fighting platform.

"He's right over there, Love."

He pointed over to a corner. I thanked him, expecting him to walk away but he seemed interested in the situation. I began to walk over to where two guys were stood barefoot on blue mats. Harry's curls were instantly recognisable, some small ringlets stuck to the nape of his sweaty neck. The sleeves of his grey t shirt were rolled up his strong arms. My eyes scanned down his long legs which were covered by dark blue shorts. He kept his back to me as the other man sprung on his feet.

"Again!" Harry's raspy voice shouted.

The guy stood opposite him took a swing at the strike pads Harry held out. He easily absorbed the impact, instructing him to make a left hook.

I didn't interrupt. Instead I wandered over to a table up against the wall, lifting myself up to sit cross-legged on the surface. I removed the strap of my bag, placing it beside me. My eyes intently watched the actions being carried out before me. Harry's muscles flexed as he continued to take hits to the strike pads on his hands. His back was to me, but the guy who was throwing the punches curiously peered round Harry in my direction.

A giggle escaped my mouth as Harry hit him round the back of the head with one of the pads.

"Don't take your eyes off your opponent." Harry told him.