CHAPTER ONE

Are monsters born or created?

This question often traced the edges of Marjorie's brain, keeping her up with the moon, pondering until the silence of the inky night had melted into the warm glow of the sun.

Why could people be so horrible?

She often thought about it when she had first met Reece, the "Piranha" - the man who masked the behaviour of someone deemed selfish when in actual fact, his heart was full of the love and affection that he had never had. It was sad really, as she watched the sleeping blonde next to him, that he devoted his life into protecting his sister, Autumn, but never his own mind; never shadowing it away from the abuse from his father, nor the hatred Autumn had felt the night of prom. He had a heart so pure, yet broken.

Marjorie's mind then traced to Autumn - a woman she was so very fond of, strong and independent. She had the mind of an eagle, she often thought, intelligent and, in her opinion, beautiful. She had a demeanour she had never seen worn by anyone else.

When they had first met, Marjorie hadn't taken a liking to her straight away, but now, Autumn was more a friend to her than almost anyone else at the nursery. The woman was inspiring, humbling the parents when they made a rude or false accusation, yet caring to those who needed help. Marjorie's thought of Autumn had expanded the night of her miscarriage, which opened her into the view of what she had hidden for so long; the scared little girl Roger had morphed her into being.

She saw that side of Reece too, especially when eating out. When helping Carly, she realised that it was also to help him fight the demons clouding his head. He was thoughtful in that way.

The moon glinted on her face as she rolled over, blinding her slightly, but her thoughts quickly recovered and occupied her mind again. Thinking about it, she had seen each side of the Knight Siblings - both good and bad. But someone she hadn't seen open up, someone in quite close relation, was the redhead.

Mia was a funny character with twisted humour and and interesting background. She knew that Mia's kind heart had faded away after being used by Roger for 20 years - the practise of feeling numb had become a reality. But she couldn't help but wonder what went on inside the redhead's mind. As she rolled over once again, Reece's eyes flickered open, meeting her gaze with a tired smile.

"Are you okay?" He enquired, giving her a swift kiss on the forehead before propping himself up on the mattress, "You're restless, and quite frankly, it's like the bed's having a mini earthquake of its own."

Marjorie rolled her eyes playfully, the sleepiness washing away from her mind completely, "I thought your house was next to a train station by the way you were snoring." She returned the midnight banter, watching as Reece's eyes adjusted to the darkness.

"Are you sure you're okay though Marjorie?" He asked, a look of concern painting his face, "You're always awake late and tired during the day. Something's been bothering you."

Marjorie felt warmed by Reece's worry - what had she done to have a boyfriend so affectionate? She smiled to herself, "Everything's fine Reece, it's just like my mind won't shut down. The same thoughts keep coming back."

The blonde raised an eyebrow, leaning in lifting her chin up, silently telling his girlfriend that he wanted to know more. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked her softly, gently caressing her cheek with his thumb.

The gesture always made Marjorie feel safe, and she felt her mouth open and the words start falling out before she could stop herself. "I've been think about you and Autumn, about your childhood. And...Mia's." She said the name with a light scowl - as much as the two women had managed to form a delicate friendship, much to Charlotte's delight, but there was still a little bit of tension in the air. The two really did know how to push each other's buttons.

"What about it?" Reece encouraged, his azure eyes reflecting the light of the moon, basking his face into a white glow.

"This is going to sound silly, but I can't help but think about you three and what you guys were like when I met you." She coughed, clearing the grogginess from the late night conversation, "You were..mean, and rude. You all seemed to not care about anyone else except yourself, which angered others, but that seemed to please you even more. Looking back now, I know they weren't your true feelings - not at all - but I can't help but wonder why you and the other two painted yourselves in that light, knowing for well that people would hate you for it."

Marjorie watched as the words sinked into Reece's head, a look of question fixated on his face. He nodded, smiling slightly at her words, "I think it's because all of us never wanted to express our true feelings because then we'd have to come to terms with the emotions hidden by our past, and that would be too painful. We were all raised to keep it together, even when the thoughts were serious, because then we were nothing special. When we felt something, we were like every other human being, and that's not something's our parents wanted to see."

Marjorie nodded, reaching out for Reece's hand and feeling a warm sensation when their fingers intertwined. The thought stayed in her mind for a while as she thought about all the other people out in the world with the same mindset; those who can't express their true emotions because of the people around them.

"My love, would you mind if we talk to Aut in the morning and see if she wants to come over and have a conversation about this? It's about time you knew a little more, especially if you're going to be apart of this family." Reece watched Marjorie's face as she looked rapidly back up at him.

"Aye?" She asked, snapping back to reality from her thoughts. Reece laughed at her character - she was imperfect as an individual with many flaws, yet perfect for him all the same.

"I'll give Autumn a message in the morning so she can come over and we can discuss it further. You have the right to know about our past." He stroked a strand of curly hair out of her face as he opened his arms. Marjorie fell into them, laying her head softly on his chest, his heartbeat fluttering slightly under her touch.

He pulled her close, a strand running through her hair, soothing her chaotic mind into a peaceful state. As his eyes drooped and he felt himself slipping into the world beyond his dreams, he allowed his lips to kiss Marjorie once again; "I love you."

"I love you too, Reece."

- - -

Thank you guys so much for reading my first chapter; I really hope you enjoy it. My next chapter will be in the works and may be posted later tomorrow.
Have a great rest of your day <3