Just Like Charlie

To get up or not to get up? That was the question. 

The bed was soft and warm, but Jessie had already been awake for half an hour, and she was getting a bit restless having to stay upstairs. 

 Mike had told her yesterday evening to stay up in her bedroom until someone came to get her... he said something about going out very late to celebrate taking down a case and wanting to sleep in.But she figured the sun had been up for long enough. 

Somebody had to be awake in Graceland... 

The door to the phone room was propped open, which meant no one was inside. She tiptoed down to the agents' floor and could see from the stairs that Paige's door was shut as well. 

Jessie hesitated to peer around the corner, but she took a few more steps down and looked quickly over to Mike's room. She didn't think Mike would get angry if he saw her, but she was supposed to be letting everyone sleep. 

She was a bit disappointed to see that his door was shut too. If Mike was still sleeping in, there was no way anyone else was up either. In Jessie's mind, Mike woke up earlier than the sun. 

Johnny's door was cracked open though. Somebody's always was.Just in case she needed someone in the middle of the night, the agents rotated through leaving their door cracked open. 

Jessie knew that if she had a nightmare and wanted someone's help, she was supposed to go to the room with the open door. Jakes would say that he was "on call" when it was his turn, but running down to the agents in the middle of the night happened less frequently as her time at Graceland continued. 

 Jessie tiptoed past Jakes' room and leaned slightly into Johnny's door, trying to see if he was still asleep. She didn't even need to look; she could hear the snoring. 

 She smiled when she saw how much of a mess his room was, and she had to cover her mouth to stop herself from giggling when she realized that he was still wearing the clothes he had on when he left the house in last night. 

His feet were sticking out from under the covers, one still sported a dress shoe and the other just had a sock with a giant hole in the bottom. 

 She walked around to the side of the bed, put her elbows on the mattress and rested her chin in her hands. "Johnny," she whispered. She pressed her elbows down to make the bed shake a little bit. The snoring halted and she held her breath as he mumbled something and flipped his head to look the other way. 

"Joohhnnnyyyy," she tried again. "Wanna go surf, please?" 

There was a moment of silence, but she knew he heard her. She pushed into the bed one more time. 

"Hungover..." he mumbled. 

 "Wanna go? I'll paddle and everything." 

 "Noooo," he groaned into the pillow. "Go away..." 

 He felt a bit guilty for shutting her down. He picked his head up slightly. "Go wake up Briggs." 

 "No way..." she said playfully. "Even I know better than that!" 

 He turned his head towards her but kept his eyes squinted. "Just... just go downstairs. Watch tv or something." His voice was hoarse and groggy. 

 "But you're the only one up," she said matter-of-factly. 

"I'm not up either," he said while throwing the blankets over his head. 

"Yes, you-" 

"Go." 

 At least she had gotten permission. She walked back over to the staircase, checking out Jakes, Briggs, and Charlie's doors in the process. 

Charlie's door was left open, but before Jessie got a chance to look inside, she heard Charlie's voice from downstairs.