Briggs School: Part 1

"Ok, I have to go, Jessie," Paige said, putting the girl's lunchbox on the kitchen table. "Have a good day at school." Paige leaned down and kissed her goodbye, but she paused when she realized Jessie was still in pajamas. "Why aren't you dressed yet?" Paige asked, trying not to sound annoyed.

"I'm not going today," Jessie said. She was reading a book at the table while Mike and Briggs made quick breakfasts and got ready for their day.

"What do you mean you're not going today?" Paige asked.

Jessie pointed to the calendar by the chore wheel on the wall. "There's no school today!"

There was a beat of silence in the kitchen.

"Is today a holiday?" Briggs asked. "Remember that time we didn't realize it was Thanksgiving when we did that restaurant bust?"

Paige laughed at him. "Johnny was pissed he missed out on his mother's gravy..."

"Johnny still has a mommy?" Jessie asked. Her question was ignored as Paige consulted the calendar and scanned her finger across the correct week. "Oh crap, you're right. No school."

"I know I'm right," Jessie said, not meaning to be rude.

Paige looked over to Mike, who's sole response was to shrug his shoulders.

"I have a meet with the biggest dealer of-", Mike said defending himself.

"Shh," Paige said, "I know. She can't come with me either."

"Can we visit Johnny's mommy one day?" 

"You'll have to ask Johnny," Briggs said. He put down his coffee and looked over to Mike and Paige. "You're not going to like this, but, I'll take her with me."

"What do you have?" Paige asked. She crossed her arms and stared him down.

"I'm tailing a transport. Same guys as his... thing," Briggs said nodding over to Mike. Paige shook her head and raised her eyebrows.

Briggs took a step towards her. "Jakes, Johnny and Charlie are already gone. What do you propose? I'm not going anywhere near the guy. Not even getting out of the truck."

"I get to go in the orange truck! I never get to go in the orange truck!" Jessie yelled excitedly from the table.

Briggs, Paige and Mike all shot her a look, and Jessie went back to pretending as if she wasn't paying attention to their conversation.

"Does that thing even have seat belts?" Paige asked.

"One of them works," Mike said smiling.

"No, you're never riding in that truck," Paige said to Jessie. Paige took a breath and looked down at the floor. "Take the blue car," she said.

"Is that a 'yes', P?" Briggs asked. When she didn't respond, Briggs looked over to Jessie. "Go get dressed, kid. You're coming with me."

Jessie jumped up from the table and ran upstairs to her room.

Paige watched Jessie go upstairs and then looked back at Briggs. "If there is even one glimpse of a warehouse, a meet, a sale, a buy, a-"

"Paige," Briggs said, cutting her off with an authoritative voice. "We are keeping our distance from anything exciting."

Paige looked back to Mike. "And what do you have to say about all of this?"

Mike shook his head and smiled. "They won't suspect a tail if Briggs has a kid in..."

Paige hit him in the chest. She pointed her finger back at Briggs. "I'm calling you. Every hour."

"You're going to be late, P," Briggs said.

"I know, I know." She grabbed her bag, and kissed Mike goodbye. "No Agent Orange!" Paige yelled from the living room.

The men waited for the door to slam before saying anything.

Briggs grabbed the keys from the kitchen drawer and Mike eyed him suspiciously.

"You're going to take the orange truck, aren't you?" Mike asked.

"Yep." Briggs tossed the keys up in the air and caught them, smiling at Mike. "I'll let you know where he brings the shipment."

"Sounds good," Mike said. He took breath and put up his hand. "Please, don't piss off Paige."

Briggs laughed and patted Mike's shoulder before walking away from him into the living room. "Jessie! Let's go!"

"OK!" he heard her yell.

She was wearing a gray t-shirt, jeans, dark shoes, and sunglasses. She jumped from the bottom step and pulled off the sunglasses. "I'm ready for Briggs school!"

"Hey," Mike said. He laughed when he saw what she was wearing. "You work for my case today. Remember that."

Jessie ran over and gave him a hug and kiss goodbye.

"You got it, Warren."

She put the glasses back on and walked towards Briggs.

"You want to take the Orange Truck?" he whispered.

Jessie beamed a smile up at him. "I like Briggs school."