Part 4: The Performance

The next day was Thursday, and Naia and Lina didn't have gymnastics. Also, school had been cancelled due to ice and snow. An incredibly bored Nina sat down at her desk and began to brainstorm ideas. Then, she had it: a grand idea. A fun idea. An inclusive, exciting, happy idea. She could put on her own show! Nina began scribbling away on her notepad. First, there would be a puppet show, and then Lina and Naia's gymnastics showcase, and then a play, and finally a dance. Nina looked at the program for her show. "Looking good!" she remarked quietly.
"Now let's get this thing rolling."
First, Nina made the sock puppets, and it took her an hour and a half. She carefully sewed each puppet, adding button eyes and warn hair. Next, she created the puppet theatre. Nina cut up a big box and drew on it with metallic permanent marker. After making the puppet show props, Nina created a script for the show. Then, she wrangled Naia and Lina and tackled the next section of the show: the gymnastics showcase. Nina constructed a list of skills for her sisters to perform. The little girls were eager to show off their gymnastics skills, and they were happy to oblige. Nina set their routine to the song Birthday by Katy Perry. Afterwards, Nina created her play. She downloaded a script from the internet, and gathered costumes. Since the play that they were putting on was Cinderella, she chose a big fluffy dress for Naia, who played the lead role. Nina gave her sisters each a short script, and then remembered that neither of them could read, (at least not very well) and so she helped them learn their lines orally. After the two girls had mastered their few lines (It took an hour), Nina choreographed the dance that they would be doing. The music piece that they were dancing to was Starships, by Nicki Minaj. Naia and Lina followed Nina's example, and picked the choreography up very quickly. After rehearsing the show three more times, Nina, Naia and Lina set up the stage for their show. Nina put strips of paper tape up and down the floor so that Naia and Lina would know where to go. Then, she and her sisters painted a big cardboard sign and decorated it. The sign advertised their show. Afterwards, Nina hung curtains from the upstairs balcony so that they hung down a few feet in front of the couch, like real theatre curtains. At long last, the show was ready. Nina readied the sock puppet theatre and set it up behind the curtain. She put Naia in charge of lighting and curtain calls, and she sat Lina down on the couch to watch the performance.
"MOM!" Nina called across the house. "WE HAVE A SHOW FOR YOU TO WATCH! COME SEE!"
"Coming!" Kestrel replied, walking into the room with Boola perched on her hip.
"Please enjoy da show!" Naia yelled to Kestrel from her position on the balcony above the stairwell.
Naia dimmed the lights, them shone a spotlight on the curtains. (The "spotlight" was actually just a flashlight). Naia threw back the curtains, revealing Nina's puppet show scene.
Nina performed her puppet show, which was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Afterwards came the gymnastics showcase. Nina replaced Naia on light and curtain duty, and Naia and Lina rushed backstage to prepare for their special part in the show.
Nina turned on the spotlight and yanked away the curtains.
"Voila!" she murmured.
The stage came to life as Nina cued the music. Naia and Lina danced about, prancing across the stage performing their gymnastics routine. The girls finished the act with a synchronized cartwheel, and a big round of applause from Kestrel followed.
After the routine, Nina hastily outfitted her sisters in their costumes. Nina herself was both the prince and fairy godmother, while Naia was Cinderella and Lina played an evil stepsister. After helping Naia adjust her dress and reminding Lina of her lines, Nina pushed them out onto the stage, then ran upstairs to open the curtain.
"I wanna go to da balllllllll!" Naia sang, her Cinderella peasant dress swishing as she skipped.
"You never are gonna go!" Lina stated fiercely.
"But I wanna wanna wanna go!" Naia responded.
"No, no, no!" Lina shouted.
Lina exited stage right and ran upstairs to manage the curtain and spotlight. Nina entered stage left, outfitted in her fairy godmother outfit complete with a sparkling wand.
"Who you?" Naia questioned.
"I'm your fairy godmother!" Nina sang in a British accent. "I'll grant your wish, and you can go to the ball!"
Nina waved her wand. Lina closed the curtain. As soon as she did, Nina hurriedly replaced Naia's peasant dress with her princess dress.
"Ready?" she asked her little sister.
"You bet!" Naia exclaimed.
The scene began, and the curtain opened.
"Oh my, you have made me love-wee!" cried Naia. "Oh tank you!"
"Certainly!" Nina replied. "Now run along to the ball! And don't forget, leave at midnight!"
The curtain drew to a close, and Nina quickly changed into her prince outfit. She slipped plastic princess high heels on Naia's tiny feet, and then signaled to Lina that it was time to open the curtain.
"Hello, madame!" said Nina.
"Hi-yo!" said Naia.
"Shall we dance?" Prince Nina inquired.
"We shall!" squealed Naia, giggling.
The two danced s if they were at a ball for about twenty seconds.
Then, Lina screamed, "DING DONG!" from the balcony, signaling that it was now 12 o' clock in the play.
"I must go!" Naia said quietly, and ran off. She was sure to kick off her shoe before she exited the stage. Nina grabbed the shoe and held it until the curtain closed.
The next scene began when Lina opened the curtain.
"Is this shoe yours?" asked Prince Nina, holding up the plastic high heel.
"Yes, it is!" said Cinderella Naia, extending her foot. She was dressed in her peasant dress.
Nina slipped the little high heel onto Naia's foot.
"It fits!" Said Nina. "You are my one and only."
Lina closed the curtain, and the play ended.

Backstage, the girls congratulated each other. Nina gave each of her sisters their costume, handing four-year-old Lina a green tutu. She herself was outfitted in a blue tutu. After reminding Lina of her choreography, Nina signaled to Naia, (who was in charge of curtains and lighting) to begin the show.
It was a ballet-style performance, lots of arabesques and leaps and twirls. At the end of the dance, Naia closed the curtain and ran downstairs and went backstage with her sisters. Nina, Naia and Lina stepped simultaneously from behind the curtain and took a bow, then a curtsy. Kestrel applauded loudly, and Boola seemed to smile. The show had been a big success, and surprisingly with no mishaps. Maybe Nina's luck was about to change.