Chapter 3

Sarah's POV

The rest of the school day went by with no problems. We finally got to the part we wanted to get to. Operation Band Happiness. The message was sent out to all involved in the operation. Lauren is currently in the counseling office trying to figure what the heck happened second hour. Everyone else is in the abandoned room bringing in stands and setting up instruments and chairs. We will be doing the whole "first chair, second chair" thing. Not to pick favorites, but to help improve.

Zach searched the whole school to make sure every hall was clear of people that can potentially ruin the plan. As soon as he gave us the thumbs up, it was time for us to begin. Lauren came back and looked sane.

"The counselor's gone," Lauren whispered as she entered the room. "Time to begin."

An eruption of instruments and voices was filling up the room which gave me so much joy. It's also exciting since we've never had a piccolo in our band before. Lauren will be switching back and forth between flute and piccolo depending on the piece. I will be playing my clarinet. Zach will be playing his trumpet. Jade and Jerad on tuba. Jordan on trombone.

I've gotten all the sheet music we need. One is called Golden Eagle March. Another is called Heartstrings. And the last is Encanto. All very nice pieces. I started handing out all the music to each section while Lauren helped quiet the band and started doing lip slurs. It sounded like old times. Maybe even better.

After everything was passed out, we started doing chair placement. To test we did scales and a part of Golden Eagle March. We split up into sections with Lauren's mom walking around to observe each section and putting them into their chairs judging from each individual testing.

After about a half hour, each section came back with the placements.

Each of us got first chair except Mason. He was so mad. Especially since a person he didn't like got first chair. Yes he does not like Nathan. He's always had some envy for him. Mason got second chair.

The first piece we started working on was Golden Eagle March. It went better than expected. Stacatos were almost perfect. Low brass needs to be a bit quieter though. Next we played Encanto. It was a little rough but we made it through. I will say this, Lauren's flute solo was decent for a first try. Still needs to be worked on though. Heartstrings was OK. It wasn't amazing, but I did not expect it to be.

We decided to take a water break after about a half hour of playing. We were about to start playing again when our hearts stopped. There was a knock at the door.

Me and Mason kept exchanging stares to see who would open the door. Jordan got fed up with the five minutes of it and answered it with all of us being deathly silent. The door creaked slowly open and a wave of relief went across the whole room. But also a bit of surprise. I was not expecting our old band teacher to be at the door.

"Ms. Lok?" Jade said in surprise. Yes, that's her name.

"I saw a bunch of trombones lined up outside the door. You can't have a band without a conductor. So here I am." Ms. Lok joyfully said.

Jade let her in without hesitation, ripped the baton out of my hand, and gave it to her. I sat down in my seat and watched her get her happiness back.

"Before we get started on these well selected pieces, I'll tell you where I've been." She began to tell.

After she finished telling her tale, we began playing Encanto because it was our roughest sounding piece. She kept on yelling at Lauren to play louder for her solo or Lauren will have to listen to me play oboe. I played oboe for a little bit. Then I realized how obnoxious Clair is, then I moved back to clarinet. She had to keep telling Zach to play softer so we don't break any more of the trombone's eardrums.

It was about an hour before we decided we needed to eat. We told everyone to bring lunch money and we'd go to the mall's food court.

As we were walking out, the power flickered and went out."What's going on here?" Jade yelled grabbing Jerad's hand.

"I have no idea." Lauren responded. "Someone must have switched off the power box."

"Well someone turn it back on."

Everyone spread out and started looking for the box in the pitch darkness. Having fifty people wander around a big room, there were many possibilities where it could be. Until Minerva ran her head into it and found it. She opened it and put it on. Everyone was blinded at the sight of the bright lights. I heard screams.

As soon as that light went on, the room felt like it had two less people in it.

I started taking attendance and everyone seemed to be here. With the exception of two people. Don't know which though. There was the sound of a phone that ended the silence. It turned out to be Mason's old beat up phone.

"Sarah..." Mason yelled across the room.

"What do you need in a time like this, Mason?" I yelled back.

"I think I know who went missing."

"Who?"

"Jerad and Jade."

We went in silence. Another ring from Mason's phone arose.

"I also think I know someone who had to do with this."

"Who could that be, Mason?"

"Some person named Javonis and another named Allysa."

Lauren began thinking for a second, then a terrified look came on her face.

"Lauren, would you happen to know these people."

"More than I wanted to...they're my cousins."