Magic 8 ball

"Magic 8 ball, will Lily say yes when I ask her to hogsmeade?" James shook the magic 8 ball.

"My sources say no," it replied.

"Damn it." James was even more frustrated than he was before. Sirius gave him the magic 8 ball for fun. The trick was it really was magic. It said the real answers to the yes/no questions you ask.

"Said no again, didn't it?" Sirius laughed.

"I still have hope though. One day Lily Evans will be Lily Potter."

Sirius started laughing hysterically.

"Sod off will you?" James was upset.

"Lily...Potter...Really...James..." Sirius said between laughs. Remus looked up from his book, amused.

"I love her, Sirius." James said solemnly. This made Sirius laugh so hard he was out of breath. He looked at James.

"Oh. You were serious?" James just nodded. He tossed the magic 8 ball to Sirius across the room. "Does James Potter love Lily Evans?" Sirius shook the magic 8 ball.

"Without a doubt," It told them.

"Sorry Prongs." James just turned away and went under his covers and.

James was getting depressed. Everyday he would ask the same question. Will Lily Evans say yes today? Every time he shook it the answer was either don't count on it or very doubtful or my sources say no or the worst, no. Nothing could lift James' spirits up. James wanted to give up, but didn't. He knew one day Lily would say yes.

This went on for a month when finally one morning he got the answer, "maybe". That was the first answer James got that wasn't negative. It was neutral. James was back to normal. As soon as he went to the Great hall for breakfast, he looked around for lily. He went her and said' "Evans, go out with me?"

He wore that cockey smirk that would have made other girls swoon, but not Lily. "No." Lily had no emotions on her face or in her voice. James was back to his depression. Another month passed. This time instead of negative, it was filled with all "maybes".

James asked her out everyday that month, but she said no every time.
Why would the magic 8 ball say maybe if all she said was no? Did she have hesitation? Did she think about saying yes?

"Magic 8 ball, Will Lily say yes?" James didn't want to give up. He shook the magic 8 ball.

The answer was yes. Not it is certain or without a doubt or yes definitely or most likely. It just said, yes. James was fully James. He grinned just like the Cheshire Cat. He found Evans in the hall way on the 7th corridor. Using the Marauder map of course.

"Lily!" As Lily turned around. James brought out his magic 8 ball. "Am I, James Potter in love with Lily Evans?" James shook the magic 8 ball.

Lily looked at him confused. He showed her the answer on the magic 8 ball. Yes definitely. "Will you go to hogsmeade with me, Lily?"

"Yes, James." He smiled from ear to ear. Lily hugged him. It felt amazing have her in his arms. Lily grabbed the magic 8 ball. "Am I, Lily Evans in love with James Potter?" Lily shook the magic 8 ball.

Now James was confused. Lily showed him the answer. It is certain. James brought her to him and kissed her. James was respectful to Lily's feelings. You see the reason why he never asked the magic 8 ball if Lily loved him was because if she did, he didn't want to be told by some stupid magic 8 ball. He wanted Lily to tell him when she wanted to if she did ever love him.