Chapter 17 ~ Hell Trip

*Disclaimer: I do not own the Kane Chronicles, Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus series and its fictional settings, characters and story line. This is merely a Fan fiction written for my and the readers enjoyment. Due to changes made, this story now covers the timeline from The Lightning Thief to The Crown of Ptolemy. Magnus Chase and The Trials of Apollo are not included.*

Chapter 17 ~ Hell Trip

Annabeth Chase

     It could be terrifying if you were trapped in a statue with no means of escape from the inside. But losing control of your breathing and appearing suddenly a hundred feet above a sea of lava is a whole new category of terror. 

     The Gods... They were behind all these, I should have realized it sooner. That was the reason why there was so much peace. You can't be too quiet in the Greek world for a whole year but this time, instead of random gods popping up in front of us to give errands there wasn't anything but eerie silence.

     You think this peace was good? In fact it isn't. It means the Gods have abandoned you and have no use for you anymore. 

     But, Demigods were their tools right?

     On their brighter side, if they had a whole army of experienced killers capable of anything, the demigods were just a hindrance. 

     What was the reason why the Gods reached out towards Chaos for alliance? Death of all mortals will result in nothing but a bare world. There would be nobody to remember their names and they will soon disappear not much longer after we will. It didn't make sense...

     Anyway, I didn't have time to think about incoming apocalypses when I was about to meet my own end by free falling into a sea of lava.

     How did it feel like? I did drink from the River Phlegethon when I was trapped in Tartarus with Percy and it felt like drinking Gasoline. Now, swimming in this sea of lava? It felt the same, only that I was swimming in it.

     My skin stung like I was bit by a thousand ants as I was boiled in acid. I felt my nerves go on an over drive and I kicked up towards the surface, using the adrenaline caused by the pain to propel myself up. As soon as a broke surface, I gasped for breath.

     Strangely, I remained dry despite the lava and I felt solid ground under the lava that helped me stay in the open air from above the waist. Quickly, I scanned my surroundings and felt my heart lurch in my chest.

     Chills went down my spine as the place vaguely reminded me of Tartarus. 

     Demons, that looked much alike the ones I fought back in Mahattan were also swimming across the lake towards an island where a huge Obelisk was. The Obselisk was a glowing beacon among the red and black glow of the underworld. For a second I was moved to head towards it but then I remembered, this wasn't the place I wanted to be when I wanted to escape this hell.

     There were 12 houses, each symbolizing an hour of the night. This place was probably the sea of Chaos which meant I could head towards the land of the Demons near the 12th House where the exit to the Mortal world was located.

     I looked back towards the obelisk shining brightly, this place was where the Gods were created and everything on Earth rose from. This was a temple of protection to Magicians who dared enter the underworld but when the Gods were against us, I didn't want to visit their home court. 

     Reluctantly, I swam away, in the opposite direction from the monsters towards land. Trying my best to ignore the stinging, which had thankfully reduced to a mild throb. Instead, I had a new enemy  the stench of smell of burning flesh that filled the air. I gagged a the smell and kept my hand over my face as I wadded ashore.