Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

……………………..

~Niall’s POV~

Even sitting in my favorite restaurant, Nandos, I still can’t get my mind off of things, none of us could. I guess the change in atmosphere did help ease our racing thoughts a big; the smell of delicious chicken replaced the smell of hospital disinfectant, and the serenity of people dining and socializing rather than limping around with walkers and canes was a pleasant change.

“Niall, you’re hardly eating anything” Zayn pointed out

“I guess I’ve just lost my appetite” I sighed

“Well you better find it before you wear yourself out” Louis said, “You can’t stop taking care of yourself, the last thing we need is you in the hospital too”

“I guess so…” I breathed, taking a huge bite of my chicken wrap; normally, I’d be ecstatic to see the double portion of curly fries, chicken wrap, five hot wings, cob of corn, and large Pepsi all sitting in front of me, but lately, they’ve been nothing to me. I’d rather eat hospital food for the rest of my life and stay with Brielle than be away from her.

Suddenly my phone beeped, causing my heart to race as I fumbled around for my phone in my pockets. There was one new text from Brielle:

“Hey, babe! The doctor just came in and told me they were preparing the papers so I could leave tomorrow! The nurses are getting my stuff together right now. You guys can go straight back to the flat tonight, I can manage a night on my own. I love you! :) xx”

I smiled at my phone like an idiot; she was well enough to travel and she’ll be out of the hospital for a while!

“Someone got bit by the happy bug” Louis snickered, holding back a wide grin of his own

“What is it?” Zayn said chuckling at my expression

I simply handed my phone over for them to read as I shoved all of the suddenly much more delicious food into my mouth, barely chewing.

“Whoa, slow down there, Nialler!” Liam laughed

“I want to get back there!” I protested

“She told us to go to the flat tonight” Harry said, “Maybe it’s a good idea…”

“I don’t want to leave her there alone!” I said

“None of us do, but maybe she wants to be alone…” Harry muttered, “Besides, you really need some real sleep Niall, I think we all do”

“I’m fine, I don’t need rest, I need Brielle!” I said excitedly

“Niall…. Harry’s right” Zayn admitted, “Brielle will be okay on her own for a night, you need some rest”

“I rest there” I argued

“The edge of her bed and a chair doesn’t count” Louis laughed

“Either way, I won’t get rest if she’s not near me” I reasoned, “Just drop me off there and I’ll stay with her. You guys go pack for our trip and get ready”

“Oh, alright” Liam sighed, caving into me, “But finish eating first and come back to the flat with us to pack your bag”

“Then can I go right to Brielle?” I smiled

“Yeah, we all want to say good night to her anyway” Harry said

“Okay!” I cheered, shoveling more food into my mouth.

It hasn’t even been an hour and I already miss her…

………………………

~Brielle’s POV~

Don’t get me wrong, I can handle myself, but I do miss the boys already. There’s just something not right with the room, it feels weird without Zayn’s snoring, Liam watching Toy Story on his phone, Harry just chilling, Louis cracking jokes, and Niall holding my hand. I can’t wait to see them again, well in person anyway, all the posters they hung around my room did help me feel less lonely, but it was nothing compared to them actually being there. I can completely sympathize with the directioners right about now, staring at posters of the people you love and not having them there is horrible, but it must be even worse for them… I could always just text them and they’ll be back before I could blink, but directioners can’t. One day, I’ll find a way to help them out, especially the ones who aren’t as fortunate.

“Ms. Korey, I have to check your vitals again” the nurse said as she walked in dragging the blood pressure machine.

“Okay” I sighed, holding out my arm

“I’m going to need another blood sample too, honey” she frowned

“Please don’t make me do this now” I groaned

“I know you hate them, but I’ll get it over with fast” she said soothingly

“Why do I even need more blood work?” I grumbled, “Yeah, I have cancer, my cells are messed up, do we need to re-check”

“Sorry, love, but we need to see if any progress has been made since the chemotherapy” she explained

“Fine…” I said getting teary-eyed in anticipation and fear, “Please do it fast, I’m begging you”

“I promise, I’ll have it done in a minute!” she smiled, grabbing my arm and placing it on the table

“Get out, get out, get out of my head, and fall into my arms instead” I sang quietly, staring at the posters in a desperate attempt to distract myself.

“Done!” she smiled, “That wasn’t so bad, right?”

“Yeah, actually it was” I mumbled, pulling my arm back and hiding it under the covers, the bruise forming was starting to make me even more squeamish… and nauseous.

“I just have to take your temperature” she smiled

I opened my mouth and she gently placed the thermometer under my tongue. I carefully examined her expression as she read the temperature…

“Oh, honey, you have a slight fever” she sighed

“Is that normal?” I worried

“Yeah, but we need to try and get that down” she explained, “Are you in any pain at all? You have to tell me even if it’s the smallest thing”   

“…No” I lied; my leg was actually hurting, well, more like throbbing, but I couldn’t tell her that or I’d be sent down to the padded rooms.

“Alright, well, I’m just going to give you some pain medication anyway, it will help bring down the fever, but it’s a light sedative too, so you’re going to get sleepy” she explained

“Okay” I said, grabbing the pills and small cup of water out of her hands and swallowing the pills.

“I’ll come back to check in on you later, Ms. Korey” she smiled, “Get some rest”

“Thanks” I smiled

I really wish the boys were here right about now… 

(a/n: I really hate doing these here, but I wanted to thank you all for voting in the couple naming contest; keep the votes coming because there's still time! I'll have the results up after I get some more people! I love you all my, Squishies! :D <3 )