Chapter 9

As they exit the park, Lucifer finds he feels...tense. His head is not so clouded or tight, and his steps are lighter. He turns to Alastor as they walk down the sidewalk and smiles so wide it creases his eyes.

Alastor returns his smile with a wary one. "What?"

"Nothing." He replies; his voice is peppy and upbeat. "So, remind me where we're going again?"

They pause at an intersection. "There's a small shop down the street from here. I figured we could stop by there - and perhaps a few others if you wish - before heading to the performance." Alastor pauses and glances at his watch. "After all, it's not until this evening."

"What kind of performance did you say it was?"

They look both ways and cross to the street.

"Well now, if I told you that, it would ruin the surprise." He smirks.

"That sounds suspicious." Should he be concerned?

"Only because you're overthinking." Alastor points out. They reach the other side of the street, "but don't worry too much about it. You'll see for yourself this evening." He shrugs, "or you can choose to leave. It's not like I'll keep you if you don't want to go."

Lucifer hums. He eyes the shops they pass. "You make it sound like something illegal."

"I assure you it's not."

"Uh-huh. Well, I'll still go. After all, I am pretty curious." Alastor nods. Lucifer takes in the shops they pass. Most are tailored towards tourists - at least, he thinks so. Many of them are little shops that don't sell anything in particular - from what he can gather by looking through the windows - but still sport signs urging people to come in and look. "I didn't think you'd come to this part of the town." Lucifer stupidly voices.

Alastor hums. "And why is that?" His tone is terse, colder. Lucifer notices his shoulders are pulled in.

"Uh-" Lucifer pauses, feeling something shift in the air between them. He's mis-stepped, hasn't he? His lips part and then his brain catches up to him. Something clicks, and his body goes rigid. "Um..nevermind. Forget what I said."

The redhead stops walking for a moment and glances towards him, hands behind his back and expression neutral. His eyes are scanning him again in a calculating fashion. "You know, the French Quarter is not what it used to be. It's no longer an area mostly governed by the rich. At least, not this part of town."

Lucifer frowns.

"Having said that, it's not odd for someone of my social class to be in this area."

He looks down, "sorry. I didn't..." Then he sighs, dragging his hands down his face and groaning. "I'm sorry, I just keep saying things without thinking." His voice is muffled behind his hands.

Alastor hums, "I'm aware you don't mean it. But it still tends to come off as insulting. Especially from someone of your standing."

He takes his hands away, "see, now that was rude."

"But is it any less true?" Alastor says, raising a brow.

Lucifer looks down, away from Alastor's calculating gaze. "I thought..." His voice wavers, heart sinking. "I thought you said I'm 'not one of those people'." His blue eyes flicker up to Alastor. They linger on the man long enough to catch that cold calculating gaze, soften into something a little regretful.

Alastor's self-assured smile slips and his eyes widen a little. He blinks and turns away. "You're not." He says, his tone softer. "I just mean to say..." Lucifer waits, and the redhead hesitates. His hands come away from his back in favor of holding his chin. Although Lucifer only sees his back, he can tell the man's thinking. Alastor finally turns to face him. "In the park, you said folk assume you're bad before knowing you."