Chapter 13

-Chapter 13-

As she had spoken those words it felt as though my heart broke into a thousand pieces. My breath caught in my throat and I was unable to speak. I didn’t know what to think. Whatever would happen if my sister had been ill like me? The idea was greatly unbearable.

“Alice? Are you there?” my mother asked, worry apparent in the way she spoke.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, before swallowing back the lump that had risen towards my throat. “Y-yeah,” I stuttered. “How sick is she, mom?” I asked, frightened for my little sister’s health.

My mother fell silent for a moment, before she began to sob once more in what seemed like an attempt to do so in silence. “She... I can’t say. But she’s sick --- with Influenza.”

I hadn’t known how to respond to that. It had been far too overwhelming for me to respond coherently towards. “I... What kind mom?”

“AH1N1, honey.  I don’t know what to do. I just... I’m so responsible for this. How could I have ever made this happen? I..” my mother trailed off, unable to continue.

I took a deep, trembling breath before daring to respond. “ Mom, oh God. Is she alright? No... Not Amy. Wh- What happened? How..?” I was at loss for words. I clenched the phone tightly, feeling as though it would break any moment from the force I was exerting upon it.

My mother had been unable to hold back her sobs then, and she began to weep freely.

“Look, mom. I’ll be there as soon as I can, okay?” I assured her, my voice betraying me. I shut my phone quickly for I was certain my mother would protest due to my illness. But this had been Amy. And I needed to be there for my little sister who has been there for me as well.

----------------

“Amy Denvar’s room please,” I told the nurse as soon as I had rushed into the hospital. The hospital looked as dreadful as ever ---- white walls bare, patients being brought in for whatever reason, and doctors everywhere. But what had gotten to me the most was the smell; the air smelled of medicine and it was but a reminder of my illness... and now Amy’s.

“Room 283, Miss,” the nurse replied, her smile polite yet holding pity.

I mumbled her a quick ‘thank you’ before heading towards Amy’s room.  I twisted the knob that would lead into her room with a trembling hand, unsure of what to expect as soon as the door would open. And when finally I had the courage to push it so, I gave out a loud gasp. There, on the bland hospital bed, was my sister--- unconscious and connected onto machines with wires.

“No,” I muttered in grief, before the tears started to fall. I rushed towards Amy, focused on nothing but her small fragile body.

“Alice, I’m sorry. You shouldn’t have come—“

“Shouldn’t have come? Mom, this is Amy!” I shrieked, as I had caught sight of my mother’s tear-stained face moving towards me.  “What did you do to her? Mom... this... how could you have let this happen?” I demanded in rage.

Before my mother had the chance to speak  up, our gazes fell upon Amy as she made a groaning sound. “Mom? Alice?” she asked, her voice strained. “Why are you fighting?” she added, pain crossing her features.

“Amy, are you okay? Amy, I’m so sorry you had to wake up to this,” I apologized, no longer caring whether my mother had something to say or if she had not. My sister needed me, and this was definitely not the time for me to have fought with my mother.

Amy shook her head weakly, her chest rising and falling slowly. “No, I’m alright. Don’t worry, Alice. The doctor said I’ll get better.  I just need to stay here for a little while but we can still play dress up here right? You’ll come visit... right?” she asked, her voice uncertain.