Chapter Twenty Four

Annabeth really wasn't that upset about the Apparition. She'd absolutely hated it the few times she'd done it, and she wasn't at all eager to repeat that experience.

It did stick with her as she made her way up to Dumbledore's office the next day, though. Zeus knew about the quest and he was mad. That in itself didn't bother Annabeth; if there wasn't at least one major god mad at her or someone close to her, something was probably wrong. What bothered her was the possibilities.

She wouldn't be allowed to use magic outside the wizarding world, in her world. Yes, Annabeth had technically been living in the wizarding world for about three years now, but it wasn't hers. She came from the demigod world, with monsters and Mist and gods and quests, and that world would always be hers.

But she'd gotten so used to using her wand. She did still rely on her dagger in fights, but using her wand felt so natural at that point, it was going to be hard to let it go. And the possibilities.

Just imagine, if she could get wands for her siblings and friends at Camp Half-Blood, how much of the strain and stress of demigod life be alleviated? They would be able to solve so many problems so much faster. How much easier would their lives have been if they could have just summoned items to their hands? If they could find North no matter where they were, even underground? If they could stun their opponents, or render them immobilized, or just take them out entirely?

Now she would never know. All because of stupid Zeus and his stupid insecurities.

Annabeth didn't notice that she had made it to Dumbledore's office until she was already inside and someone was saying her name.

"—nabeth?"

She blinked herself out of her thoughts to see Harry already seated in front of Dumbledore's desk, twisted in his chair so he could see her better. Dumbledore himself was behind his desk in his tall chair, his fingertips pressed together as he peered at her.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked. Maybe that was what he had said the first time when Annabeth was too preoccupied to hear him.

"Fine," Annabeth said, taking her seat next to Harry. "Just thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing." Annabeth loosened her shoulders and schooled any concern or anger from her face, relaxing her eyebrows and lips so she didn't look tense. This wasn't Harry's problem, it was hers, and she didn't feel like talking about it just yet, especially not with Dumbledore in the room. "It's not important."

"Very well," Dumbledore said. "Now that you are both here and we are done with our discussion of Professor Snape and Mr. Malfoy—"

"What about them?" Annabeth asked.

"I told him about what I heard at Slughorn's party," Harry said, "but he said that—"

"It does not concern me," Dumbledore said with a bit of a sharp edge to his voice. "Again, Harry, I am glad you confided in me, but let me reassure you that you have told me nothing that causes me disquiet.

"Now, I must insist that we press on. I have more important matters to discuss with you."

Harry leaned back and crossed his arms, his anger plain on his face, but Dumbledore ignored it. He picked up one of two vials that were sitting on his desk and swirled it around for a second before setting it back down.

"I have two more memories to share with you this evening, both obtained with enormous difficulty, and the second of them is, I think, the most important I have collected."

Annabeth sat a little straighter but kept her face neutral. Dumbledore liked keeping information for as long as possible if he knew that she wanted to know it. Granted, he was going to be showing it to her anyway, but she wanted it to happen soon and with minimal talking from Dumbledore; she just wanted to observe.