Meeting Up With Black Riders

Me and Frodo were walking through the tall corn field and didn't notice that Sam wasn't behind us.

"Mr. Frodo?" I suddenly heard Sam calling.

I looked at Frodo who began running back towards the noise.

"Frodo?" Sam called again. "Frodo!"

He appeared in from of us, panting. "I'd thought I'd lost you."

"What are you talking about?" Frodo asked.

"It's just something Gandalf said," he said, walking towards us.

"What did he say?" Frodo asked, confused.

"'Don't you loose him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to."

Frodo smiled. "Sam, we're still in the Shire. What could possibly happen?"

Just then the crops beside Sam russled. Something ran into him, knocking him down. I stepped back, knowing full well what was about to happen. Then someone smacked into Frodo, knocking him down as well.

The one on Frodo sat up. "Frodo!" he exclaimed in a (I think) Scottish accent. "Merry, it's Frodo Baggins!"

"Hello, Frodo," the other one said in an English accent.

"Get off him!" Sam demanded, dragging Pippin off of Frodo, hauling him up and dusting him off. "Come on, Frodo."

"What's the meaning of this?" Frodo asked them, looking at what had been in their arms.

They picked up the vegetables off the ground, the ones they had just stolen. Merry shoved some cabbages into Sam's hands. "You've been into Farmer Maggot's crop!"

A dog began barking loudly not far away, and through the crops I could see a farming instrument of some sort waving in the air, a loud voice yelling.

Merry grabbed Frodo, who grabbed me, and we took off through the field.

"I don't know why he's so upset!" Merry yelled. "It's only a couple carrots."

"And some cabbages," Pippin chimed in.

I rolled my eyes.

"And those three bags of bags of potatoes that we lifted last week," he added. "And then the mushrooms, the week before!"

"Yes, Pippin. My point is, he's clearly overreacting."

I tried to stop, but Frodo refused to let go. Pippin came to a sudden hault in front of us. Merry smacked into him, then Frodo, then me, and then finally Sam.

We rolled and skidded down the hill, me landing on top of the pile at the bottom of it. Sam spit grass out of his mouth. I got up, not listening to what they were about to say. I realized with a pang that we were on an unusually flat plain.

Frodo came to stand beside me. "What is it?" He looked at the road. Then back at the others, who were picking mushrooms over to the side.

I looked immediately for a place to hide, finding one. I began to climb a tree nearby.

Frodo looked at me again. "What are you doing?"

He looked back at the road, a look of alarm crossing his face.

I got to a good spot that was high and out of sight when I heard Frodo say loudly, "Get off the road! Quick!" They hid in a hole at the base of the tree I was in.

A few seconds later a black rider came slowly walking up to them.

It jumped off its hoarse and crouched above where they were hiding. It sniffed around for a minute, then someone threw a bag into the bushes, startling the creatures. It screamed and disappeared. I quickly climbed down just as Merry and Pippin began to run.