Chapter VII

I paced back and forth in my room, torn between stepping out or staying put until she leaves. Yes, Kath. She’s been here since I woke up. Normally, she would have left by now—work, of course—but today, she's still here. Why? Despite the pain in my back from that man slamming me against the wall, I planned to go to work. I need to at least inform Carmen that I’m taking a leave. Again, my phone is gone. God knows how many times I’ve killed that man in my dreams. Bakit kasi hindi pa siya umaalis?

I can hear them talking outside. Yes, them. It sounds like a gathering in the living room. I scratched my head in frustration. How does one teleport? I glanced at the wall clock and groaned. It was nearly lunchtime. Carmen must be confused by now; I’m never late. I usually arrive thirty minutes early, at least. Sighing, I tried to pull myself together. There’s no point in avoiding her forever.

With a deep breath, I cautiously opened the door, trying to make as little noise as possible. I kept my eyes straight ahead and started walking, pretending not to notice everyone seated in the living room.

“There you are. We’ve been waiting for you. Are you heading out?” Martin asked. I silently begged for no small talk, but I couldn’t be rude, especially when I owe them for letting me stay in this gorgeous penthouse and paying me for practically doing nothing. I forced a smile and looked at him.

“Yeah, I’m just going to the store down the road,” I replied, hoping to end the conversation quickly. I avoided making eye contact with their boss, though I could feel her eyes burning into me.

"To get your phone?" Her voice startled me. I glanced at her and noticed her raised eyebrow, as if I had said something suspicious.

I bit the inside of my cheek and stammered, "Y-yes." Her eyebrow arched even higher at my response. Suddenly, Miles stood up and moved beside me.

"I’ll come with you. I actually need to buy something, and besides, it’s dangerous to go alone on the streets." His last words hit me like a punch to the gut, reminding me of how I was nearly killed last night. Well, too late for that, Miles. Our eyes shifted to the next person standing up...

"No, I’ll go with you. Stay here, Miles." She said, walking toward the elevator without another word. I frowned when I heard Miles and Krissy chuckle, while Martin simply shook his head. I stood there, confused, trying to figure out what was so funny. "Aneesha, let's go." Her voice snapped me back to reality.

"Go on," Miles whispered, motioning with his hand. I nodded, murmured goodbye to them, and turned around to face the boss, who was now inside the elevator, wearing a bored expression while waiting for me. What choice do I have? I stepped inside the elevator and caught a glimpse of Krissy waving at us. I managed a small wave in return—a last goodbye. Goodbye, world.

When the elevator started, the only thing that filled the air was the soft hum of the machine and an overwhelming silence. This is why I didn't want to be left alone with her. I never know how to start a conversation. If you’re wondering whether I’m mad about everything she said last night. No, I’m not. Being mad at her is the last thing on my mind. Honestly, I feel a bit relieved that she was worried about me.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her sigh. I glanced at our reflection, waiting to see if she would say something. But she didn’t. She was just staring at the floor, her face unreadable. She wore white tailored trousers paired with a dark blue button-down shirt and black low-cut sandals. No matter what she wears, she always looks so classy. And beautiful.

"I can feel you staring..." she said, breaking the silence. I quickly looked away from her reflection.

"Wala ka bang trabaho?" I asked, my eyes fixed on the floor, pretending it was the most fascinating thing in the world. "You don’t have to do this, Kath. Kaya ko naman na e."