Chapter Two

Chapter Two

We walked along in silence, and I allowed her to lead the way while I stared at her in wonder. She was so beautiful that looking at her was like taking a long drink of refreshing water on a hot summer day, only the water wasn't enough to quench my thirst. The more I drank, the more I needed to drink. I felt consumed by her presence.

"Here we are," she said after a while, gesturing to the area around us.

It was then I realized that I hadn't paid a bit of attention to where we were going. I had no idea where we were, but it was breathtaking.

All around us were tall mountains with waterfalls that tumbled hundreds of feet over multiple sections of sheer cliff faces into a sparkling lake of water in front of us. An amazingly crafted stone bridge crossed the center of the loch from one cliff side to the other, standing so high out of the water that full sized ships could've passed through its many elegant arches beneath.

The vegetation was in wild abundance, the mountain surfaces covered in lush foliage and twisting vines that crept everywhere. Where we were standing, the grasses were tall enough to hide in, and the branches of the giant tree next to us swept the ground under the weight of the dripping lilac blossoms—which perfumed the air.

Eirian led me over to where the flowered branches split apart from one another, creating an entrance into a hollowed out space under the tree. She sat down in front of them, gesturing for me to do the same.

I didn't sit though. Instead, I stared down, marveling at her beauty. "It's strange, but I almost feel as if I know you somehow. But that's not possible, is it?"

"If you'll sit with me, Bran, I'll tell you many things."

Fire rushed through me when she spoke, and I clenched my teeth, closing my eyes for a moment while I tried to control myself.

"Will you also tell my why, when you speak my name, my body goes crazy?" I opened my eyes to look at her.

She smiled, never breaking contact, and I noticed her pale skin flushed a little. "Yes." She nodded and again gestured to the seat next to her.

I joined her and immediately felt the need to touch her, so I laced my fingers with hers. "All right, tell me all your secrets."

She paused for a moment, before lifting her free hand to stroke lightly over my brow, tracing around the sides of my face to run her fingers over my lips.

"I brought you here. I've been watching you for a long while and placing suggestions in your head, preparing to meet you tonight when the magic is strong enough to temporarily blend our two worlds."

"What do you mean, placing suggestions?"

"When you were asleep, I often brought the memories of your father telling his Fae tales to the surface, keeping them in your subconscious mind. I told you where to find the seeds at the proper hour that would make you invisible to the Fae sentinels."

"So I really was invisible?" I asked in surprise.

She smiled, and it caused my heart to beat faster. "In a sense." She didn't seem inclined to explain anymore about that. "I also made sure you knew this was the proper place and when the time was right. Everything went perfectly."

I released her hand, reaching to fondle her silver white hair. "How did you watch me? Surely I would have noticed you in my room."

"I was never physically there. The Fae can't leave Faery for too long. I used magic to follow you."