Chapter 2

A couple days later I found the perfect place to stay in Frankfort. The trip had gone without conflict, but I knew I could only stayed a short time. The Mogs had seen my face, which means they could find me anywhere there is a camera. I found an old, abandoned shack with a For Sale sign out front to stay in. It was painted bright blue, but after years of decline, it was all chipping, and you could see the rotting wood underneath. The inside was no better. It was all carpeted, with leaks everywhere. The whole house smelled of mildew.

The house (surprisingly) still had water and power, so I set up Cara's computer system, which searched the internet for any news pertaining to us. While it did that, I took a shower for the first time in weeks. I could feel all the grime being washed away. It was one of the best I had taken. 

After that, I decided to stay for a while. I trained in hand to hand combat, against my invisible opponents. I was a natural at that. I felt like I could take on any Mog. I stayed there for a month, training, trying to encourage my other legacies to appear. They didn't.

On the day I decided I was going to leave, I went through the items in my Chest. There was my dagger, which was my main weapon. There was also the Duplicator. There was a Xitharis stone, which Cara had explained that it can transfer Legacies between Garde for a certain amount of time. There was a sustenance cube, a blue one. There were seven or eight gems left from my stash, one of them made of Loralite, the same as my pendant. There were also two other stones. I didn't know what those did. 

I picked up one of the stones, and my arm tingled. The tingly feeling spread throughout my body, and my my bruises from the fight with the Mogs before disappeared, after some minor pain. I picked up the other stone, but it didn't do anything. I threw it back in my chest, and, as it entered, all my Chest items started floating. I touched it again, and everything went back inside. I smiled and put it in my pocket.

I picked up a velvet bag, which housed a bunch of small spheres. They floated up, revolving around what was supposed to be a sun. Then, they started spinning faster and faster, and crashed into one another. Startled, I stumbled back a few steps. It's surface changed from grey to blue and green before I realized that it resembled the Earth. It continued to spin, and I noticed that there were dots in Northern U.S., and somewhere in Europe. Then, it started vibrating, and a female voice yelled, "Adelina! ¡Despierta! ¡Despierta, por favor! Adelina!"

Just then, my computer dings, meaning it had found news about the Garde. Near León, Spain, a girl had been strangled. Her name was Miranda Marquez, and I knew for a fact that it was the Mogs. If they were in Spain, then there must be a Garde there. Then I remembered, the dot in Europe. The female voice coming through the globe. Someone was in trouble. The Mogs had killed Miranda Marquez, but I had no new scars on my ankle, which meant that the Mogs had gotten to the wrong person.

My computer dinged again, interrupting my thoughts. There were reports of flying people in the same city. Flying, or telekinesis? I had to get to Spain right away. That Garde Member had been reckless, and now they were paying for it. But I had to save her. I packed all my stuff, which consisted of my chest, my computer system, and the clothes I was wearing.

I walked outside, and ran a couple miles to the nearest gas station. I wasn't even sweating. I walked in and a couple of teens standing in the corner, pretending to be cool. I ignored them, and went straight to the guy behind the counter, who looked at me warily. 

"Do you have any backpacks?" I asked him, tucking my hair, behind my ear.

"Yes." He pointed to the wall where they hung, near the guys.

I continued ignoring them, and picked out one that was pink and black. A little too girly for me, but I took it off the wall.

One of the guys walked up to me, and said, "Travelling? You'll need some muscle with you."

His buddies behind him snickered, and I just replied, "No."

I started walking away, and he followed me to the counter.

He grabbed my arm, and said forcefully, "Come on! I'll go with you. You shouldn't be out on the mean streets alone!"

I calmly flipped him over, and put the backpack on the counter. Two of his friends came over and grabbed my arms. I elbowed both of them in the gut, then turned around and kneed one in the groin. I punched the other one in the face, hard, but not enough to seriously injure him. I just broke his nose.

His three remaining buddies all came at me. One swung a punch, but I easily ducked it and kicked his legs out from under him. Another attempted an uppercut, but I blocked it, and put him in a headlock. I turned around, and blocked the last kid's blows. I threw them into each other. 

I turned toward the owner, still calm, and put a twenty dollar bill on the counter, and picked up the backpack. As I was walking away, I told him, "Use the rest to buy a security system."

I ran back to my house, enjoying the exercise. I thought about the fight. It felt so good! I hadn't been able to slug anybody for a while, and it was like the medicine I needed to calm down. When I got home, I put my chest and computer in the backpack, and ran to the nearest airport, using instructions I memorized. 

We were developing Legacies now, which means the Mogs would come in full force. It was time to get together.

I made it to the airport just as a plane landed, so it was crowded. I followed a flight attendant into a RESTRICTED ACCESS area, stealing her face. I found a closet with a bunch of dusty name tags, and I put one on my uniform, which changed with my appearance. 

I pretended to know what I was doing, and walked in on the flight while people were boarding. Before the flight started, I immediately went to the bathroom, changing my appearance to a mother I saw boarding another plane. I left, and sat down in a empty coach seat. 

I stayed awake the whole flight, constantly on guard. Cara had told me that planes were the worst place to be when Mogs came, but I made sure I wasn't followed, so there was no way they could find me. 

In the middle of the night, I took out my computer, and looked for news in León, Spain. To my surprise, there was more. I shook my head at how stupid this Garde member was acting. The article said that a woman who had an incurable disease was cured out of the blue. My computer found another article, and I gasped when I saw it.

The title was, "Strange Symbols Burned into Mountain," the location of which was the Picos de Europa Mountains. And it showed a picture. The symbols were exactly like the ones around my ankle. I looked down at my ankle, and realized with terror that my scars were out in the open. I forgot that the mother was wearing shorts! Hoping no one saw, I changed myself to the first person I could remember wearing jeans: the guys from the gas station.

After convincing myself that no one saw, excitement flew through me. If I wasn't sure about the Garde before, I was now. I couldn't believe I was finally gonna meet another Garde member.

My face fell when I realized I couldn't. Pittacus must have kept us secret for a reason, which meant the nine Garde couldn't know about me, twelve, and thirteen. I sighed, sad about not letting the others know about me.

I looked at the person next to me, who had a hat over his face, and a blanket on him. He was sleeping. Or at least I thought he was. I heard a gravelly voice whisper from his hat, "What number are you?"

AN:

Please comment and vote! Hope you guys liked it! More chapters coming soon!