Chapter 22

"Misaki, do you want to go down to the meadow today?" A foggy day began with the friendly inquiry.

"Sure! Race ya!" A little girl dashed through the empty streets of a village, not bothering to wait for her companion.

"Hey, that's no fair!" The day waxed and began to wane, and a bird soared over head, dropping a single feather for the two to wish upon.

"Misaki, I swear to never forget you, and that we'll always be friends, right?" A warm sensation as the two children hugged.

The lonely road didn't seem so bad in the company of a friend. An odd scent wafted through the air.

"Is that what I think it is...?" The pair dashed along the remainder of the road, only to find their village up in flames. People race around, some screaming and wailing, some trying to put out the fire, and others laying lifeless on the ground.

In the chaos of trying to find their families, the two are separated.

Horsemen and foot soldiers alike patrol the streets, but not to help the villagers. The horse hooves are stained the same bloody red as the swords the samurai carry.

"Mama, papa! Saiai no yūjin? Where are you? Please..." The little girl runs out of the village, desperately searching for her family and best friend. Her lungs and eyes are filled with smoke, and her blurry vision causes her to trip and fall.

"Papa... Mama... Sa-" Blackness.

"Kazoku!" I shot upwards out of sleep, screaming. Fear and despair coursed through me, but I couldn't quite grasp why. Remembering my dreams had never been my forte, but these particular ones always seemed especially fuzzy. Nevertheless, they always left me with a unique mixture of shakiness and terror. Sweat beaded along my forehead, and the sound of my heavy breathing mixed with the sound of Saizo's footfalls as he rushed through the dividing door, a concerned and almost panicked look scrawled across his face.

"Princess! Are you okay? What happened?" He rushed to the side of my bed as I swung my legs over the edge and attempted to catch my breath.

No, I am not okay.

I smiled weakly, trying to play off the shakiness in my voice as I avoided eye contact with Saizo. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little nightmare."

"That surely didn't seem little." Saizo crossed his arms, his earlier anxious look replaced with... suspicion? "Would you like me to call Chiyo for some tea?" He maintained a cautious tone, but seemed sincere enough in his offer.

I started to shake my head in response, but paused a moment, reconsidering the fact that tea might actually be soothing enough to put me back to sleep.

"Thank you, but I'll call for her. I'm sorry for interrupting your sleep." I gave him a half smile before standing up and going to the door. Saizo didn't move, but instead watched me like Hayatemaru watched a mouse. I sighed in mild annoyance.

To my surprise, Chiyo was already standing outside the door with two small cups and a porcelain teapot.

"Chiyo, how did you-" My mouth gaped open rather rudely in wonder.

She chuckled, handing me the tray of tea. "Princess, it is unbecoming to have your mouth hanging open like that. And in answer to your question," The smile disappeared from her face. "I heard you scream and thought that it would be a good idea to bring you tea and calm your nerves." She bowed politely and began to walk away.

I snapped my jaw shut just in time to throw a 'thank you!' down the hall.

Stepping back into the room, I slid the door closed behind me, taking note that Saizo had not left during the exchange. I huffed, knowing he would probably mock me about staring in such an ignoble way later.

Ignoring him, I set the tray down on the dresser, and proceeded to pour tea for the both of us. I inhaled the steamy scent, letting it calm my nerves and chase away any remaining alarm form the dream.

"Have some tea." I sat down on the edge of the bed, motioning for Saizo to sit by me and take a cup.

He sat down hesitantly and took the cup from my hands. After a moment of silence and sipping the warm liquid, he spoke up. "Do you have nightmares often?" No doubt he was remembering when he had to shake me awake in the hot springs.

I sighed, not exactly wanting to bring the subject of my dreams back up, but obliging anyways.

"Only since I assumed my role as the Ninja Princess. My first one was on our travels on the way here." I looked up at Saizo hopelessly. "And the worst part is, I can't even remember them clearly."

I hung my head, staring at the patterns of the leaves in my tea. A single tear trailed down my cheek and made a ripple when it landed in the cup. So much for making me feel better.

I stewed in my misery, until Saizo tentatively placed a warm hand on my shoulder. "Don't be sad, Princess."

I looked up to see him smiling sadly at me.

"We all have our demons, and we all learn how to live with them. Perhaps someday you'll be able to find a way to live with yours." He sounded almost cryptic in his comfort, and it even sounded like it pained him to say.

Before I could ask him what he meant, he stood up and bowed to me. "Goodnight, Misaki. Sleep well and be prepared for tomorrow." He passed back through the door and into the adjoining room, taking the tea with him.

Disregarding my urge to call him back, I placed the teacup back onto the dresser and lay down, staring at the ceiling.

Tomorrow. Back to training with Kuma. My thoughts strayed away from the subjects I had lined up for the week as I drifted closer to subconsciousness.

I wonder what Saizo was talking about earlier... We all have our demons? He looked so sad when he said that. I hope he'll let me in if he ever needs it...