Chapter 13 - Varun

After considerable deliberation, Sandhya decided to call Varun. She was responsible for the kids and couldn't risk anything being out of order for this trip. She pulled out her phone and called his number.

"What's up, Sandhya?" Varun answered, sounding casual.

"I needed to talk about the trip, so that I can plan ahead."

"Oh yes. Right. We will be starting tomorrow, early morning."

Sandhya thought for a moment. Could there be the slightest chance that he was doing this for the kids?

"Yes, that sounds good to me. Regarding the overnight stay, I can check for hotels," she said.

"No need for that. My friend has a hotel and I can have everything looked into. I just need the number of kids and their names."

She gave him the necessary information.

"See you then, Sandhya."

"See you."

Sandhya held the phone for several seconds; she was confused, skeptical, but a little relieved as well. He seemed like the Varun that she had met and made friends with, not the creepy Varun that he had later turned into. If only he behaved that way for the whole trip, she might actually enjoy the trip with the kids. But past experience had taught her that she trusted people easily, she was too naive and he might be taking advantage of the same fact. She had to be extremely careful.

~

Sandhya counted all the money she had and wondered if she should have given in when Akash had persuaded her to take some money. Hardheaded and stubborn as she was, she never accepted monetary assistance from him. Akash made it clear that he did not like her attitude in this regard but he did not push it. She closed her eyes, smiled and kissed the bangles, each of which he had so lovingly slid onto her wrist; how much she longed to hear his voice, feel his touch.

She had gotten so used to having Akash with her that her house felt eerie now. Moreover, fear was added to her loneliness after Gajanan's attack. She checked whether she had locked the door multiple times, kept bowls filled with chili powder behind the window curtains, under the bed and other secret locations; she even kept a knife under her pillow. Gajanan was in jail and would not harm her but taking these steps made her feel a little better.

~

"Hey, Roja! Do you know, there is boating there and lots of tea gardens?" Rohit exclaimed as he got into the minibus. Roja smiled back, her eyes twinkling.

Sandhya watched the kids, all dressed up in their favorite dresses, and sighed. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea. Akash would call her tonight as soon as he disembarked the plane. What would he say about her going to Ooty with Varun? She dismissed her apprehensions. He was fine with her working in Mumbai on her own, he would be fine with this too.

She found Varun walking towards them and took long, deep breaths.

"Good morning, Mr. George. I see that everyone is ready." Varun greeted Mr. George with his trademark charming smile. He wore light blue jeans and a white shirt with the top two buttons open. She couldn't deny that he looked dashing, but at the same time, she felt extreme repulsion towards him. Hate was a strong word that she never wanted to apply to anyone, but he was going to be an exception.

She realized that his gray eyes were looking at her and came out of her thoughts.

"Shall we, Sandhya?" Varun said, with a faint smile playing across his lips as he gestured for her to board the bus. Sandhya nodded and followed him to the bus. She froze as she saw him moving her suitcase that she had deliberately placed beside her chosen seat to the luggage section above. But she breathed in relief seeing him sit in one of the other empty rows of seats in the bus.