Chapter Two

The minutes felt like hours as Kai tried to find the light switch. His heart pounded. Every time he took a step, the floor wobbled as if a tornado was raging outside.

This couldn't be happening. It was all a prank, right? "Where's the damn switch?" His breathing became more urgent as his fingers crawled across the crinkling drywall.

THUMP!

Kai barely held back at scream. Thump, thump. It was getting louder.... Closer Shivering tendrils of fear creeped up his spine.

He had to hide. He dropped to the floor, and on his hands and knees he crawled as quietly as he could. He slipped around the corner just as a light was flipped on. Kai didn't dare to move anymore, and even if he wanted to, fear had paralyzed his limbs.

"Damn it- I could've sworn someone was in here," a boy's voice said. It was surprisingly young.

"Check the closet, Seamus," a girl's voice said. "I'll stand guard."

Two of them? Were they actually participating in this game? Kai bit his tongue to keep from making a sound. He soon tasted the metallic liquid of blood, yet he could hardly feel the pain. He was too terrified to care.

A door was thrust open, slamming into the wall. As if it was the ocean, the floor rolled. Kai was lodged from his hiding place, and he connected with the ground. There was no hiding the sound that broke the silence.

"Hey!" The girl called. "Over there!"

Kai didn't even think. His instinct was to run. He jumped to his feet, before taking off into the darkness. Two sets of footsteps followed.

How long was this corridor?

He got his answer as he collided with a door. There was no time to register the pain in his nose from the impact. His hand reached down. He found the knob. And he turned it.

The door was locked.

"I... I have a knife!" Kai called out.

"He's bluffing, Sadie," the boy said.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious," the girl snarled. "I've always wanted to kill someone! I wonder if it will be fun."

Kai twisted the doorknob harder, as if that would unlock it. This was no joke, no prank, no dream.

The girl turned on her flashlight.

"So, this is what fear looks like," the boy smiled. "Keep guard."

"No fair! I want to kill him."

"I'm the oldest!"

"By five minutes!"

Kai stared at them while they bickered, frozen in fear.

Sadie and Seamus were loud. So loud that none of them, including Kai, didn't notice another pair of footsteps.

"Hey, over here!"

Sadie and Seamus slowly turned around, shining the flashlight on the mysterious stranger.

"Get out, or I kill you."

The stranger's bright red hair was tied back in a makeshift ponytail, but curls still escaped.

"Sadie, get her!" Seamus said. "I'll take this one." Seamus moved closer to Kai.

"You think you're brave, eh? Well, this isn't play time. You don't have a weapon," Sadie taunted. "How should I ki..."

The strange girl moved in an instant. With a barrage of movements, she jumped on Sadie. Sadie's blade, a jagged steak knife, clattered on the floor as Sadie found herself against the wall.

"Seamus! Help!"

"Hey, stop sitting on your ass and get that knife!" The strange girl shouted at Kai.

Something in that girl's voice brought Kai to action. No, it wasn't her voice, but Kai was going to pretend that she wasn't wearing a low cut tank top. Kai bolted, grabbing the knife that had fallen to the floor.

The strange girl moved once more. She flipped Sadie onto the ground and turned towards Seamus.

Kai wasn't even thinking. He raised the knife. Seamus turned around as Kai plunged the blade down. Kai saw his eyes. He hesitated. Seamus moved in the nick of time, but the weapon still made contact.

"AARGH!" Seamus screamed. Kai pulled the blade back. Blood dripped out of Seamus's side, soaking his clothes. He staggered in pain. "Sadie, run!"

The girl that had come to Kai's rescue leaned over Sadie. "You better run." She let go of Sadie.

"Brother!" Sadie called as she burst into a sprint.

"I... I'll be fine!" Seamus staggered after her.

"Don't chase them. They've learned their lesson," the redheaded girl said. "Hopefully."

"Who... What..." Kai stammered. "I mean, thank you, but..."

"My name's Jacqueline, but call me Jack or I'll kill you."

Kai took a step back.

"I'm kidding. I bet that sounds a lot better when you're not trapped in this place," Jack corrected.

"Thank you, but why come to my rescue...?"

"Actually, you saved me. I was hiding in that closet. If it wasn't for you, I would be dead right now. I had to return the favor."

"Thank you..." Kai said. "This is no game, is it?"

"It is, but this is no ordinary one. It's game for the.. the thing that put us here."

Something occurred to Kai. "How did you fight like that?"

"I... I guess I know martial arts. I can't remember which kind... It sort of came naturally to me. Say, want to team up? It's dangerous to go alone."

"That's the best idea," Kai said. "We can try and find a way out of this place."

"You never told me your name," Jack said.

"Kai."

"Our shipping name can be Jakai, then."

"Huh?"

Jack smiled. "Never mind. We don't have much time to lose. We should try to map out this place, wherever the hell we are."

Kai nodded, picking up the flashlight. "Those kids... Let's hope we don't run into them again."

"I have a feeling they will, and next time, they will be out for blood. Specifically, our blood."