Chapter Fifteen

Authors Note-

Hello angels! I hope you all are doing well and know how much I love you 💜

Trigger warning- Mentions of domestic violence and miscarriage

Charlotte had had a few drinks too many by the end of the night, her laughter was contagious and she could hardly keep her hands off of Mia. She had to be touching her in someway, somehow, whether it be her head on her shoulder, hands in her hair, her leg wrapped around her waist. She just wanted to be close to her lover and feel the connection between them. Charlotte never wanted the night to end, they were in their prime and to think of what would come next, made her anxious but so excited at the same time.

As the party was beginning to wind down, Charlotte was nuzzled closely into Mia as she gently swayed them. Humming alone with the music, knowing how tired her sweetheart was. Her attention was pulled away from Char though as Josephine made her way over to the pair. Mia began to kiss her cheeks, trying to help her stay awake and letting her know mom wanted to speak with her.

"Actually, Mia, I was hoping to talk with you."

"Me? Okay hold on-" She looked around and locked eyes with Autumn who cradled a sleeping Elaina. "Aut, can Char come sit with you?"

"Very well."

Mia walked her love over to the table and helped her sit down, leaning down to whisper in her ear. She knew how cuddly Charlotte could get when she was drinking and didn't want her to make Autumn uncomfortable. 

"Don't get too snuggly now, okay? I think Aut may already be at her limit. Save those for when we get home, Char."

"Mhmm, promise."

"Good girl." She kissed her gently, before walking back over to Josephine, an anxious smile on her face. "Hey Jo, what's up?"

"Come with me."

Josephine led Mia away from the reception hall, taking her into the dressing room and sitting her down. She knew that Mia wasn't familiar with a parent's loving touch so she hesitated at first, but began to brush her fingers through her hair.

"You doing okay, baby? Char had told me you were feeling down these last few weeks about your mama not wanting to come..."

"Oh... oh yeah it doesn't really matter."

"It does, it's okay to be disappointed in her. You don't have to pretend it's okay because you're worried about upsetting anyone else."

The energy in the room shifted as Jo brought a soft hand up to Mia's cheek, showing her the same kindness Mia had shown Charlotte time and time again.

"You can let it go, baby. Look at the huge party you've thrown for you and Charlie, everyone who knows you here loves you.  I know it doesn't replace the ache for your parents, but you don't have to be sorry for feeling that way."

"I just don't get it."

"It's not easy to understand, they took the easiest thing and claimed it was difficult beyond means, Mia."

"Is it really that hard to.. to love me?"

"No, my love, it is not."

Josephine knew this was a hard conversation for Mia but she hadn't expected to hold her face as she broke down in tears. Crying for her not just her mommy, but for that little girl who just wanted to be loved. The moment she saw Renee and Elaina, she immediately loved them and wanted to protect them with all she had. How had her mother spent 9 months growing her and took just one look at her and decided it wasn't her thing?