Chapter One - Goodbye

I've always longed to experience this day.  Since my first year it was my biggest dream to just leave this horrific thing we call School but I never expected this day to come so soon.

But there it was:  My graduation day. 

I woke up and immediately smiled. This has never happened to me before. Not in all those thirteen years of school have I ever woken up with a smile on my face. But this time it was different. It was the very last time that I would ever wake up and have school on my mind, although today it wasn't even a regular school day but actually my graduation day.

Today I was going to get my certificate from Richmond High School and I couldn't wait to look at all my teachers and tell them to kiss my f****** ass!

After I got ready I went downstairs to get some breakfast but my mother already left for work and there was no breakfast waiting for me on our kitchen table like all those years before.

Yeah, she is working hard and I know that she does it for me and my little brother Michael. But since my father left us five years ago it's all up to her and she works every single day to get us through.

 I never asked her for anything. I had my job in a little coffee bar and I saved all my money to spend it on my biggest wish after my graduation: A year as an Au Pair outside of the UK.

This country was pissing me off. I had no real friends since the last one I thought I had, took advantage of my boyfriend. And all the other guys and girls at my school and in general in my town were just douchebags and sluts.

You could definitely say that I was a loner but I wanted to change that, just not here.

I yelled for Michael so that I could drive him to school and waited for him to come downstairs. Meanwhile I glanced at the mirror. 

School has left dark circles under my eyes for years now and today I just looked as fresh as ever. No dark circles and no toussled hair. I felt great to be honest.

My light brown hair was in a high ponytail and for my last day I chose a special outfit. All those girls would show up in a dress and highheels while I just wore a normal pair of jeans, my black TOM'S and a grey v-neck with a black and white flanel. My green eyes literally stuck out of my head and I turned around as Michael jumped down the stairs.

"Woah, not so fast champ." I urged him.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so excited for summer holidays!" he exclaimed. 

He was the cutest 5 year old ever and I loved him to death and he was the only reason why I sometimes regret to have joined the Au Pair program. Today was also the day were I was supposed to be getting a letter from the organisation telling me which family I was going to join. 

I told them on the phone that I preferred a family with five year old boys and girls because of Michael. I knew exactly how to distract them and how to make them listen to me.

We got in my Ford Fiesta that I got just recently with the money I earned in the past years and drove to School. I dropped him off and made my way to my school were everybody was waiting. I was late. Very late ,but I couldn't care less. It was the last day and there was nothing that I wanted but my certificate. 

When I got home I just dropped the certificate on the table and opened the post box. There was a letter from the Au Pair organisation and I couldn't wait to see who matched with me. 

Immediately I ripped the letter open.

Dear Ms Miller,

We are happy to announce that you've matched 99.2% with one family. You are going to start your Au Pair year in one week. Your ticket for the flight will be sent to you within the next few days. You are going to stop in New York City on the 27th to have three orientation days with other Au Pairs from all around the world. There, you will learn what your exercises will be and how you can reach us when there are problems. You are going to get your own car and your host family will pay you 60$ per week. This money is free to be spend on anything.